The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

But I could see why Sierra was worried. If something went wrong, I was the last person that should be left in control of the situation. I mean, I was a trouble magnet. Bad things just seemed to follow me like a bad smell; a reeking odour that just wouldn't disappear. Jase was mad for leaving this to me. Sierra would just be as well going to stay with her mum because there wasn't a chance in hell of this turning out well. The only issue with that was that Dante's pack was still running amok among the girls in the surrounding area. As much as we had tried to do some damage control i.e. dad had tried to talk to Dante, which had ended in a lot of blood, and then made the lads do patrols in town to make sure no trouble arose. Jase was worried about Sierra leaving the house without protection, Cal was worried about me skipping into trouble and Macca...well, it wasn't like he didn't care about Georgie anymore; she was always going to be his mate, but I think it was safe to say it would be a while before their relationship took a turn for the best.

So, all in all, things were pretty much normal this week.

"When you're finished up here, I'll meet you in the hall," dad muttered, leaving the room. Well what had been the point in coming in here in the first place?

Don't be such a bitch, Radleigh chortled. I turned to look at him.

It's a fair enough question, I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

But I stopped thinking about my dad, just in case there were anymore eavesdroppers. God, was nothing private in this house? No, it wasn't because everyone else seemed to know about the nightmares that I kept having. I wasn't sure if Cal was telling them or if they heard the screaming, but they were all very careful about what they thought about when I got up in the morning. They all seemed to put a block up around any thoughts regarding me. Don't get me wrong; I was glad that I didn't know what they were thinking about me, but it would have been nice to receive some comfort in knowing that it was completely normal to wake up shouting and covered in sweat, only to realise that I had been about that close to strangling Cal. Mind you, it didn't normally take that much, though, as Cal happily pointed out, I had been a lot more docile in the past few days, which no-one was complaining about considering the arguments that Cal and I could have when we disagreed on something. But yes, the last couple had been pleasant, despite the fact that Cal was a bit more on edge because of the Full Moon.

"Annie." The use of my name jolted me out of my thoughts and I looked around the table trying to locate the source of the noise. My eyes settled on Jase, who was looking right at me.

"Yes?" I asked, trying to sound like the nice little sister for once in my life.

"The doctor's number is on the fridge," he told me, his voice saturated in seriousness. "And if anything happens, don't leave the house; just wait for us to come back. And-"

"Don't answer the door," I finished for him. "Yes, Jase, you've already told me all of this and the rest. I promise I won't hold any mad raves while you're away and I'll try really hard not to set anything on fire, okay?" He scowled at me for taking all of this with a pinch of salt. But for Gods' sake; what was the worst that could happen? It was Full Moon. Dante's pack would be doing exactly the same as this one; they'd be in no fit state to carry out an attack on the house. And Sierra was fine; she was only having a baby. Women had been doing it for centuries and they had all managed fine. I didn't know what he was making such a big fuss out of it for.

Radleigh licked his lips, sniggering. Jase shot him a filthy look and then glared at me. I shook my head and got to my feet, scraping the chair right out. I wasn't going to sit there and take that. I knew what I had to do but Jase wasn't making it easy to get along with him. I could tell that he still pretty much resented me but at least we were on speaking terms. Sort of.