Bugs - Gotham - Ed x Reader

"It's not that I don't think that you can the job Nygma, its just that Professor (Y/l/n) is one of the foremost experts in forensic entomology, and the professor's expertise could serve us greatly on this case." The captain told a rather irritated Ed.

Ed had gone to see the captain once he had found out that the powers that be, had informed the GCPD that they wanted the help of the professor on the big case that the department was currently dealing with. Ed had initially shrugged it off, it was true that he knew only a little about the entomology side of forensics, and believed that having a professor in on the case could prove to be informative; but Edward had taken the fact that someone else was being brought in as a slight to his intelligence, and that was why Ed currently found himself in the captain's office, demanding to know what was going on.

"Look, this goes high up, and someone way above my pay grade has called in the professor especially, and there is nothing I can do about it; if I were you, I would make the most of it, it's not every day that we get someone of the professor's calibre to come to Gotham. Why don't you use it as a chance to broaden your knowledge, Ed?" The captain told him, shooing him out of the office.

"You really are pathetic; you know that don't you?" Edward said, as Ed made his way back into the lab.

"Please leave me alone. You heard the captain , it has absolutely nothing to do with her, this is down to someone else." Ed said, barely above a whisper as his alter ego stalked around him.

"You make me sick! Today it's a professor, tomorrow it will be a whole new forensic scientist, because they will figure out just how useless you really are. If you had let me take over, then I could have had this whole thing fixed, and this professor wouldn't be coming." Edward growled, as Ed shakily shifted paperwork around on his desk.

"Please, just leave, I need to..............." Ed began, his sentence cut off as he heard a voice from behind him.

"Excuse me." The feminine voice said, Ed spinning around to see who had just entered the lab.

"I'm terribly sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you, I....... well, I was just looking for Ed Nygma." The woman said, walking further into the lab.

Ed's eyes grew wide, whoever the woman was in front of him, there was definitely something unusual about her. She was exceptionally beautiful, her features were soft, her bright green eyes were piercing, and the smile that she was giving him was making Ed's heart beat violently in his chest.

"I-I-I'm Ed, er...... how....how can I help you?" Ed asked, getting up from his seat, and making his way over to the woman.

"Oh, thank goodness I am in the right place, I'm Professor (Y/l/n), I've come to help you with this case that you are working on." The Professor said, offering Ed her hand.

"Well, my, my, my, this professor might not be bad to have around after all." Edward purred in Ed's ear, as he looked at the woman, whose hand Ed was shaking frantically.

"If you let me take over for a while, we might just have a chance with the good professor; wouldn't you like to have such a beautiful, intelligent woman on your arm, or even better, in your bed." Edward chuckled, as Ed stared at him, as he circled the professor.

"I'm sorry." Ed said, finally letting go of the professor's hand, I wasn't expecting someone like you." Ed said hesitantly, as the professor began to chuckle.

"Let me guess...... you were expecting some crazy looking old man, with wild hair, smelling like tobacco?" The professor said, smiling as Ed nodded weakly.

"Don't worry, I get that all the time, most people don't expect a woman to be interested in bugs; but I just happen to be a little strange." She said, laughing as Ed's cheeks glowed a sweet shade of pink.

"And my name is (Y/n), even though I worked long and hard to get my doctorate, I sometimes find the title too formal, especially when dealing with such a handsome colleague." (Y/n) said, smiling as Ed gulped and nearly fell backwards.

"So, Ed, why don't you take me to have a look at the body, and then to the larvae and insects you collected?" (Y/n) said, walking off in the direction that Ed indicated.

"Oh, I like her." Edward hummed, as Ed followed behind (Y/n), his eyes watching the seductive sway of her hips.

"If she thinks that you are handsome, wait until she sees me." Edward laughed, as Ed, quietly tried to shut him up.

Ed showed (Y/n) the body, fascinated by how she went over the corpse, informing him of new techniques that she used to make sure that she extracted every last species that may have found their way on to the deceased.

"So....... Bugs?" Ed asked hesitantly, looking over (Y/n)'s shoulder, and watching as she looked at a particular larva under the microscope.

"You want to know why a nice girl like me, would spend her life studying bugs that come off dead people, right?" (Y/n) asked, looking up from the microscope and into Ed's eyes.

"Well, apart from the fact that they can change from the ugliest grub, larvae, or caterpillar, into amazing butterflies, and beetles; there is also the fact that they are the most successful creatures on the planet, making up two-thirds of the 1.5 million species on earth. They live on every continent, including Antarctica, and they predate the dinosaurs by 170 million years. As far as my work is concerned, these little critters can tell me how long a person has been dead, if the body has been moved, the time of year the deceased passed, and I can even do toxicology analysis on them." (Y/n) said, smiling as Ed seemed to be fascinated by what she was telling him.

"So, are you going to say something to her or not?" Edward asked, looking over (Y/n)'s other shoulder, admiring everything other than her work.

"Er....... (Y/n), how long will you be in Gotham?" Ed asked, watching as she changed the slide in the microscope.

"I'll be here until I've finished my work I suppose, so...... it will be at least a few more days." (Y/n) said, noting down her findings as she spoke.

"Ask her, or I will." Edward told Ed, watching with a smile as Ed shook his head.

"I was...... I was wondering if you would like to go out for a drink this evening...... with me, if...... if you aren't busy of course. We can discuss work if you like, or anything else you want." Ed said, gulping as (Y/n) looked up and smiled at him.

"Why, Mr. Nygma, I would love to go out with you this evening; but instead of discussing work you can tell me all about yourself; work is work, and I would much prefer to learn more about you." (Y/n) said, reaching up and kissing Ed softly on the cheek, giggling as he began to blush again.

Ed smiled, as Edward seemed to have finally disappeared for a while; for once he had been able to stop Edward from taking over, and for once he had a date with a beautiful woman that wanted to know him better, and maybe, just maybe, things were gonna change for the better.