A good man - Part 2 - Steve Rogers/Captain America x Reader

Clint pulled Natasha out of the conference room doors. Leaving (Y/n) to look through the file that the widow had just given her. And leaving Steve to pretend that he was reading his, when in fact he actually staring at the agent.

"Do you think that this is a good idea, Nat? I mean I know that (Y/n) is the right one for the job, but if she finds out our ulterior motive, and it all goes wrong, she might never forgive us." Clint said quietly as the door closed behind them.

"Clint. This isn't going to go wrong. I need to show (Y/n) that all men aren't bad. That she can trust again. And who better to show her that than Steve? (Y/n) needs a good man in her life. She needs someone that will love her. And let's face it, it's about time that Steve found someone too. (Y/n) and Steve are perfect for one another. He has those old fashioned manners. He holds doors open. I think that he would even take his jacket off and place it over a puddle, so a woman didn't get her feet wet, if he had to. (Y/n) loves all that kind of thing. And she already likes him." Natasha explained, Clint furrowing his brows in confusion as he quietly opened the door and looked at (Y/n) seemingly completely ignoring Steve.

"That is liking him? I'd hate to think what she'd be like if she didn't like him." Clint replied, as he watched Steve close his file and move around the table to get closer to (Y/n).

"If she didn't like him, she wouldn't still be sat in that room. Believe me. And she knows what this mission entails. She knows that she has to pretend to be Steve's wife. To be close to him. Look Clint, this is important. Brock hurt her a lot............."

"Brock? As in Brock Rumlow? Nat. What the hell?" Clint interrupted. Dragging the widow further away from the conference room.

"Clint, you don't know the full story." Natasha sighed, as she took a seat, knowing that she was going to have to explain everything to the archer, so that he didn't think that she had lost her mind. Or that (Y/n) couldn't be trusted.

"Well, why don't you tell me." Clint huffed. As he took a seat next to his old friend.

"(Y/n) isn't a new agent, Clint. She's been working with S.H.I.E.L.D for years. She met Brock when she started, and well........well they got together. She didn't know about Brock being a Hydra agent. But when he did what he did, she was hauled up in front of Fury, and thankfully he believed her when she said that she had no idea what Brock was doing. And, to get her away from him. To ensure that Hydra couldn't use her. Fury sent her to Europe, and she's been there until recently. Brock hurt (Y/n) in more ways than you will ever know, Clint. It's taken a lot for her to come back here. It's taken a lot for (Y/n) to trust anyone again. She's a good friend, Clint. And I want to see her happy." Natasha explained. Clint looking back over to the conference room doors.

"Don't you think that we should let Steve and Bucky know about all that before they go on this mission? I mean given their previous interaction with Rumlow; they might want to know." Clint reasoned, as he thought back to the fights between Brock and Steve. And the Hydra agents torture of the Winter Soldier.

"But (Y/n) isn't responsible for what Brock did, Clint. She is her own person. And I would trust her with my life. And as you said earlier, she's perfect for this mission. Whatever happened in the past. Whatever happened in her private life, has nothing to do with the work she does. (Y/n) is one of the most trustworthy, and loyal agents I have ever met. She would do anything for S.H.I.E.L.D. And even Fury knows that. That's why he sent her to Europe, so that he could keep her safe. If this all goes right. If this mission helps (Y/n) realise that she can trust again. Then its up to her to tell Steve about her past, not me, and not you. And even if it doesn't. If neither of them sees that they were meant for one another. Then it's still not up to us to tell Steve." Natasha replied. Hoping that she could allay her friends fears.

Clint looked at Natasha. It was obvious that she meant every word. That she cared deeply for their fellow agent. And even though he felt that the soldiers should be informed of (Y/n)'s connection with Rumlow, he knew Natasha was right. That from what he had seen, (Y/n) was one of the best and most dedicated agents that he had met. And what was important now was the up and coming mission. Anything other than that, he would leave to fate.

                                                                    >>------------------------------<<

"So, Agent (Y/l/n)." Steve said, as he sat on the desk next to her.

"Clint tells me that your new to S.H.I.E.L.D." Steve continued, feeling ridiculously nervous as (Y/n) closed the file and looked up at him. The Avenger feeling as though he was back to being the young Steve that no girl wanted to look at.

(Y/n) sighed. She still wasn't sure that going on this mission with the two super soldiers was a good idea. She had spoken to Natasha more than once about what they may think if they found out about her previous relationship with Brock. About whether she should tell them about everything and let them decide whether they wanted her with them. But Natasha had talked her out of it. Yet as (Y/n) looked up into the Captain's blue eyes. As he hesitantly smiled at her, obviously hoping that she would elaborate on his comment. (Y/n) knew that she couldn't keep it from him. It was obvious that he was a good man. That he wasn't like Brock in any way. And such a good man deserved the truth.

"Captain." (Y/n) began. As she got to her feet and dropped her file on the desk.

"It would be an honour to work with you. An honour to get to know you better. But before we go on this mission, I need you to know something. I am not a new agent. I have been an agent for quite some time, its just that Director Fury sent me to Europe for my own protection. You see.........I was in a relationship with Brock Rumlow. I had no idea he was he was infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D on behalf of Hydra. I had no idea of who he really was, or what he was doing. And I think that you and Sargent Barnes have a right to know that, given what Brock did to you both. I will understand if you don't trust me, given that information. I will understand if you don't want me on this mission with you. It was nice to meet you, Captain." (Y/n) informed the slightly shocked Steve. His eyes growing wide as she suddenly made for the door and rushed out of the room.

                                                           >>--------------------------------<<

Natasha and Clint jumped to their feet as they saw (Y/n) bolt from the conference room. Steve coming to the door and calling out the agents name as she disappeared down one of the crowded corridors.

"Steve! What happened?" Natasha asked as she and the archer made their way over to the Captain. Steve never taking his eyes from the corridor down which (Y/n) had vanished.

"She's..........she's perfect. I mean........I mean, she's perfect for the mission. I'll go and fill Buck in on everything." Steve tried to reply as calmly as he could. Tucking his file underneath his arm and disappearing himself, leaving a dumbstruck widow and archer to wonder what had happened.