A war to end all wars - Part 2 - Peaky Blinders - Arthur Shelby x Reader

The Great War had been over for two years now, and (Y/n) had been working in a big hospital in London since she had returned from France. She loved the job but thirsted for a new adventure. For something that would instill the same passion in her, as her work during the war.

She had never forgotten Tommy or Arthur and remembered the older Shelby's last words about Birmingham and Small Heath. It wasn't that she needed anything from them, she had a large inheritance from when her parents had passed away, which guaranteed that she was able to live quite comfortably. It was just a need to know that the Shelby boys had both got through that hell alive.

So now, (Y/n) found herself on a train with a few belongings, on her way to Birmingham. Not knowing where she was going, and only having two names to go on.

Stepping off the train at the station, she took a deep breath as she made her way to a cab, and having managed to find a respectable hotel, she dropped off her luggage, and ventured out onto the streets.

Birmingham wasn't too different from London. Same kind of dirt, same kind of people milling round going about their business. As (Y/n) wandered aimlessly, she wondered where to start looking for two men in such a big city. Stumbling across a pub called 'The Garrison', she remembered the boys always said they liked a drink. How they would talk about getting a good whisky when they got back home. So what better place to start her search.

Taking a deep breath, (Y/n) pushed open the doors. The pub was a little dark and smelled of cigars, whisky and sweat, but she had certainly seen worse.

"Can I help ya lass? Ya don't look like ya really belong in a place like this." The barman asked, seeming a little confused about her presence. (Y/n) smiling softly at the man as she made her way over to the bar.

"H-hello, I know that this is a little strange but I'm looking for a couple of friends of mine. I was wondering if you would know them. Their names are Arthur and Tommy Shelby." (Y/n) asked, furrowing her brow as the man gave her a shocked look.

"What would you want with the Shelby's miss?" The man asked, as he took his cloth and wiped the top of the bar.

"Well, you see, I was their nurse during the war, and I've really just came to find them and see if they are alright." (Y/n) informed the man. But before he could say anything in reply, there was a commotion from outside, the doors violently flying open, as a few young men rushed in, dragging another man inside as blood poured from the arm.

"John's been shot." Yelled one of the men, as he tried to stop the bleeding. (Y/n) finding herself pushing her way through the mass of bodies, as she fought to get to the injured man.

"I'm a nurse, I can help." (Y/n) said, as she got to the young man, and dropped to her knees by his side.

"Hello, so you're John, yes?" (Y/n) asked, smiling as the young man nodded.

"Well, my name is (Y/n), I'm a nurse, I'll look at that for you." She informed John, as she placed her hand on his shoulder.

"(Y/n), is that you? Is that really you?" A familiar voice called out from behind her, as she looked up to see the worried face of Tommy.

"Hello Tommy, yes it's me. Let me sort out my patient then I'll give you a hug." (Y/n) told the younger of the Shelby boys she had come to find. The nurse gently examining the wound in John's arm.

"Ok boys get out of the lady's way; she knows what she's doing." Tommy yelled at the men. The usually stoic Tommy smiling softly as he watched (Y/n) rush over to her bag and get out a medical kit.

"Tommy, I need a bottle of whisky, a bowl of hot water, some soap and a clean towel." (Y/n) shouted out. Tommy nodding his head and sending one of the boys off to get what she needed. The nurse taking off her hat and coat and throwing then to the floor before rolling up her sleeves.