Ch 9 🌸

When I open the door Parker is standing there smiling with a bag in his hand

"Hi there Parker!" I smile at him.

"Uh hi, Raylee. Umm, my mom wanted me to bring you some dumplings and some homemade chocolate cake." He smiled.

"Come on in the kitchen is to the left." I point and follow him.

"I'm sorry if I'm interrupting your evening but I wanted to drop it by." He said.

"You aren't interrupting anything. I was just upstairs going through some of momma's old pics of us when I was little but I'm starving." I smile.

I walk around to the fridge and grab a couple of waters and walk around to a drawer and get some silverware and sit at the bar. Parker joins me on the barstool next to me.

"I appreciate you bringing this by. I'm sorry I look such a mess. That funeral guy really annoyed me and I'm just angry. But I don't think its really him I'm just angry that my momma is gone." I said.

"What did he say Raylee?" He asks.

"He just acted like I couldn't afford the funeral cost because I'm young I don't have any money but I'll tell you this my mom left me more than enough money. Probably more than he ever dreamed about. Fuck him." I sigh.

"Hey, its ok don't worry about it. He doesn't need to know your finances anyways. Your mom loved you and I'm sure she left you taken care of." He squeezes my hand.

"Thanks for coming over I just needed a friend and I have no one to turn to. I cant call Maxine to come over here and hold my hand constantly." I said.

"I don't mind. You finish those dumplings so we can eat some cake and then I want to see some of these pics you are talking about." He said.

"That's nice of you Parker but I don't want to take up more of your time," I said.

"Listen I want to be here. I would hope if I didn't have my parents someone would be there for me. Can I ask you a question?" He asked.

"Sure what is it?" I say looking at him.

"Have you heard from your dad? My mom said he's a piece of shit and that your mom despised him." He said.

"Oh I guess he's alive but I have no idea I haven't laid eyes on that man since I like seven or eight years old. He left to work on the road and knocked a few women up along the way then thought he could come back to momma. She divorced him so quickly." I said

"Man, that sucks. Reckon he knows she passed?" Parker asked.

"I would say that he does but he doesn't care. If anything he will show up because he wants money but momma left me a letter and Maxine gave it to me and she told me whatever I do don't give him anything. I'm afraid he may show up to cause a scene." I sigh.

"Don't worry about that I will be there and help if things happen or he shows up." He said.

"Really you plan to come?" My eyes glass over and I'm trying not to cry.

"Of course Raylee we are friends, right? I told my mom I would be there." He said.

I wipe my eyes and look down at the counter because I don't want him seeing me cry. Parker stands up and comes up behind me and hugs me. "I feel like you could use a hug Raylee."

I turn around and stand up and hug Parker tight. I just need someone to hold me and tell me things are going to be ok. I cry so hard at the moment.

"Shhh, its ok sweet girl just let it out. Sometimes we all need a hug and I think you have been holding in your feelings." He said rubbing down my hair.

"Thank you Parker I needed that. I feel all alone in this world. How am I going to live without my mom?" I ask.

"That I can't tell you but what I can tell you is that you can do it. It will take a long time but I'll be here to hold your hand if you want me to." He said.

"I appreciate that so much." I smile at him and sit back down to eat the cake. "Gosh your mom is a great cook please thank her for me." I smile.

"You can thank her at the gravesite she will be there oh and she said if you and Maxine need help at the shop she is more than willing to help out." He said.

"Wow, that's really nice of her. I'll talk to Maxine and ask her what she thinks and I'll let you know." I said standing up to take the plates to the sink and put the rest of the dumplings in the fridge for tomorrow.

"So you want to show me some of these pics?" He asks.

"Do you want to go upstairs or you want me to bring them down?" She asks.

"Whichever is easier for you." He said.

"Let's go upstairs then. I have them spread across mommas bed." I smile walking up the steps and Parker close on my heels.

"Wow, she had a nice room Raylee and all those pics." I smile.

"Don't laugh when you see me toothless." I laugh.

"Hey, we all were toothless at some point." He laughs.

"Momma kept these by her bed I guess she liked looking back at these since she spent a lot of time in bed at the end which she hid that from me," I said.

"Oh, she didn't want you to know how sick she was?" He asked.

"I don't think so because she knew I would worry and she wanted me to graduate," I said.

"So no friends or boyfriends in college?" He asked.

"I had a few friends that I shared a dorm with but we weren't really close and I went on a few dates but really I wanted to focus on school and graduate to make momma proud," I said.

"Were you ever planning on coming back to Cotton Wood?" He asked.

"No I wasn't but now I think I'm going to stay. I made up my mind at that funeral home." I smile at him.