Ch 1 🌸

I can't believe my mom is gone

I can't believe my mom is gone. What am I to do now? I feel like I went to school for nothing to end up back here in a place I never wanted to be again stupid Cotton Wood Arizona where it's hot as hell. I'm standing at the front door looking around not wanting to go in.

I walk in and look around her house and it's all just a reminder of her. I sit down in a rocking chair and just sigh noticing all the pictures of us on the wall. I have no clue what to do with any of this. Do I sell it all and go back to California where I was trying to make a life for myself?

The doorbell rings so I get out of my chair to go see who it is.

"Oh, sweet girl!" Maxine pulls me into an embrace.

"Hi, Maxine." I smile through tears.

I've known Maxine all my life. She was mom's best friend since high school and her right hand at the flower shop so that's going to help me out a lot.

"I know this is too much right now but I will help you figure it out ok?" She said.

"I appreciate that because I don't even know where to start. Everything reminds me of her." I said.

"I know sweetie but if you stay I will help you learn flowers and keep things running. I know your mom had a will so first thing tomorrow we will get that situated. You know your mom liked to have everything in order so I'm sure she has done that." Maxine smiled.

"Yeah, she knew the end was near. When I talked to her the other night she didn't sound good and I should have come home but in my mind she still had time." I said.

"Have you heard from your father?" she asked.

"Hell no, that sorry loser don't care about me or what happens to mom. He's been out of my life for a long time now." I said.

Jeff Nash left when I was seven years old to chase some stupid dream he had and while chasing it he chased a few women and knocked them up and when he came crawling back momma didn't want anything to do with him.  I don't even know where he is.

"I know he lives here in town with wife number three and they have a teenage boy together," Maxine said.

"Oh really? how many kids does that make him now? He's such a piece of shit and I'm sure he hasn't changed a bit. So no need in coming around here hoping to get something." I said.

"I think he has three other kids. Two girls and the boy." Maxine said.

I walk to the kitchen and grab two bottles of water and hand one to Maxine. "So you will go with me tomorrow to get all this situated? Momma didn't want no funeral just graveside rites to be done." I said.

"Of course I will go with you. Whatever you need me to do besides Kirby is at home with the dogs and he will help too if needed." She said.

"How are your kids doing?" I ask.

"They are good. Patrick is still in the army and Daisy she's finishing up high school thank goodness! "She laughs."

"And now you have gained another kid." I laugh.

"Oh, honey I told your momma I would take care of you and that I will. Anything you need." She stands up and walks over to a picture on the mantle. "Your momma was the best and that flower shop is the best shop in town we just have to keep it going," she said.

"I'm not sure what to do about anything yet. It's all so overwhelming." I sigh.

"Your momma left you a letter let me go get it." She said getting up and heads upstairs.

A letter? Great like I need to cry more.

"Here it is sweetie read it when you feel like it but maybe this will help you decide what you want to do. I'm going to head on home but call if you need anything and I'll see you at 8 am." She said.

"Thanks for everything Maxine I do appreciate your help," I said as she walked out the door.  I locked it and hold the envelope tight in my fingers and rush upstairs to moms room to lay on the bed and read it.

{-My dearest Raylee,

If you are reading this then I couldn't hold on any longer. I'm so sorry to leave you but know that I loved you with all my heart. You were my pride and joy and I hope you continue to make me proud.

The cancer was getting worse and I could feel it and the treatment stopped helping a while ago I just didn't say anything.

I know you have your own life to live but I really wish you would stay here. The house is paid for and continue to run Kabloom with Maxine's help. I just know that you will know every flower by heart soon enough.

I know your father wasn't much when you were growing up and he's been coming around lately but he's still the same so don't trust him one bit. As you will read in the will tomorrow I left you everything I own and I had a nice nest egg saved up as well. It's at the bank and you will know how to access that soon.

Please don't give your father a dime. I worked hard for that and want you to have it. I wish you the best my sweet girl and I'll be watching over you. I love you always. Momma Bear.-}

I fold the letter up and clutch it to my chest and cry. I guess tomorrow I am going to find out what's in store for me. But as for tonight, I am going to shower and change and get in bed.

After my shower, I put on some PJs and slip back in my bed bringing back so many memories of my childhood and my mom being here. I turn over in the bed and cry myself to sleep in her pillow.

 I turn over in the bed and cry myself to sleep in her pillow