Chapter 91

Liam's POV

"Daddy help!" Louis exclaims when I sit next to him. "Bwue go on now!" He hands me a blue block, and I carefully place it on top of the now teetering tower. It's going to fall soon, but I don't want to be the one to knock it over.

Louis places one more block on the top of the tower, and it comes tumbling down all over the floor.

"Uhoh!" he shrieks in delight, and quickly starts gathering up the blocks and rebuilding the tower. I sigh in relief that he's not upset, then begin helping him again.

The pattern of building and tumbling continues for quite a while, until Louis starts to get hungry. I remember the banana on the table and lead him back to the kitchen. He happily feeds himself the banana slices while I whip up some macaroni and cheese.

"Cheesy cheese!" Louis cheers when I put the bowl in front of him. He's about to dig in with both hands when I stop him.

"Louis, sweetie, not with our hands, okay? It's hot."

"Hot, Daddy?" Louis questions, looking up at me.

"Yes sweetheart. It's hot. Would you like to use the spoon, or shall I?"

I hold the spoon out to him and he grabs it in a sticky, banana-covered fist. His method of feeding himself is a bit messy, but it works. "Louis big boy!" he proclaims halfway through the bowl of cheesy pasta. "Yum yum!"

He is, of course, covered in cheese sauce and squished banana by the time we're done. It's no surprise to me to find his nappy nearly soaked through as well.

"Okay, mister Lou, looks like someone needs a bath," I announce, lifting him gingerly out of his chair.

"Baf? Baf? Baf!"

I smile at his cuteness as I carry him up to the bathroom. I get the water running in the tub, then start undressing Louis. Every single piece of clothing he's wearing will need to be put in the laundry, along with my own shirt. How does one person make this much of a mess?

Unfortunately, Louis' excitement about the bath doesn't last. The instant I sit him down in it, he's crying and shrieking, asking to get out. It takes me a moment, but then I remember that hot water tends to burn on irritated skin. His bum must be hurting badly.

"Daddy," Louis sobs, "out, out please!"

My heart breaks, but I need to get him clean. "I'm so sorry Louis, I'll be fast, I promise."

Louis sniffles through the whole bath as I scrub him with a soapy washcloth, moving as quickly as I can while still getting him clean. I skip washing his hair, it can wait for another day when he's less tender.

"Out now, Daddy?" Louis pleads as I rinse his body off. "No more, pwease?"

"Oh sweetie..." I quickly rinse the washcloth. "Just need to wash your face, okay? Look at Daddy for me please."

Louis lifts his face, and I carefully wipe off all the food remnants, as well as the tears and snot that have been added to the mess.

"There, all done," I say. I lift Louis carefully out of the tub and wrap him in a towel.

"Daddy," Louis sniffles, clinging to me.

I gently rub him down with the towel. "I'm sorry sweetheart, I know that hurt you. Shall we go have some cuddles?"

Louis nods, so I lift him onto my hip and carry him, still wrapped in the towel, back to my bedroom, where I lay him on the bed. Before any cuddles can happen, I need to get a nappy on him. I'm pretty sure an accident at this point would upset him quite badly. However, when he lifts his bum for me to slide the nappy underneath, I see that the skin is bright red and very irritated.

"Stay here for a moment, love, Daddy needs to go get some lotion for your bum, okay?"

As I'm rustling through the drawers in my bathroom, I'm only half surprised to hear footsteps padding into the room.

"Daddy," Louis whines, reaching for me. "Miss you."

"Aw, I'm sorry Lou. I shouldn't have left you alone, should I?" I wrap my arm around his shoulders and hold him close to my side as I rifle through the last drawer. "Aha! Here we go. I found some nice lotion for your bum. Let's go back to the bed now."

After I apply the lotion and get Louis securely wrapped up in a fresh nappy, I lay down and pull him close. He nuzzles his face against my chest and clings to me, sighing happily.

Y'all, I'm so sorry. It's literally been a year and a day since I last updated this story. You must have thought I was never going to update again. This chapter is short, but it's here! It's mostly just some cute fluff, not much plot, but it's something.

I hope you haven't all given up on me. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of writing on a regular basis. I'll try to get back to this within a few days or so? No promises.

What do you want to see in this story? What would make you happy?