Chapter 44

"Where's the baby monitor? I think I can hear Louis crying from here..."

Harry's POV

"Shit! It's in the kitchen!" Liam jumps up, running to the kitchen, and reappearing with the monitor, which is conveying the heart-breaking sound of Louis' sobs.

"I got it!" I say, leaping off the couch and dashing down the hallway. The closer I go, the louder his cries get. Opening the door, I see Louis, wiggling and squirming, face red as he sobs uncontrollably.

"Oh, Louis, hush, boo, what's wrong?" He looks up at the sound of my voice, pausing his crying for a moment, before resuming at an even louder volume. I dash toward the bed, pulling him into my arms. "Shh, shh, you're alright. Papa has you, it's okay. Why are you crying?" I'm not sure what's going on, if he's big or little or had a nightmare or what.

"Papaaa," he sobs. Well, that answers one of my questions. There is no doubt that he's little at this point.

"Shh, Boobear, I'm here, I'm right here." I rock him in my embrace. "Were you just lonely, love? Or is there something else wrong?" I'm hoping he can answer my questions. It would be a whole lot easier if I knew what was wrong.

Louis turns his face into my neck, smearing wet tears all over my skin. "Sleepy, Papa," he mumbles into me.

"Why aren't you sleeping then, boo? Did you have a bad dream?" He shakes his head. "No bad dream? What then, baby?"

"Can't sleep. Wanna sleep, Papa, m'sleepy," Louis whimpers. Has he been awake this whole time? No wonder he's frustrated...how long has he been crying? I feel quite guilty for not checking on him, because he's used to having someone in his bed.

"Oh, love, it's okay. Do you want Papa to come sleep with you?"

"Please, Papa?"

"Of course, boo. I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier." I kick off my socks and remove my jumper, then lay down in the bed, holding Louis close. I pull Mr. Snuggles close to him so he can hold it as well, and slip a dummy in his mouth, hoping it will help soothe him. When he hasn't settled after a few moments, I try singing softly, which causes him to lay still, cuddled close to my side.

Eventually, I drift off, only to be woken by Louis nudging me and whimpering.

"Lou? Aw, baby, why are you awake again?"

"Not 'gain." He pouts.

"Have you not gone to sleep yet?" It's almost 2 am...and he was sleepy at 10:30. He must be exhausted by now.

"Wanna sleep, Papa!" He's crying again. I sit up, pulling his small frame onto my lap. I don't know what to do. I can tell that his nappy is soaked, though, he must have wet it multiple times since we put him to bed the first time, so that will be my first order of business. I guess all the crying might be a part of the reason for the wetting.

"Oh, Boobear, I know. I know you're sleepy. We're going to go get a new nappy on you, and then have a nice bottle of milk, and maybe read a story if you are still awake." I stand up, carrying him to the bathroom and laying him on the counter.

Louis is still sniffling, so I rub his belly and run my fingers through his hair for a couple of moments before pulling off his pajama bottoms. When I open the tabs of his nappy, he instantly starts to cry harder. I pause. I don't know what the problem is; I hope I haven't done anything wrong. "What's wrong, honey?"

"No! S'col!" Oh, well, that's not such a big deal.

"Oh, boo. I know. Papa will change you quickly so we can get you all snuggled up in your jammies again." I pull his shirt down to cover his stomach better before continuing with the change. "Have you seen the books on the shelf in your room?" Louis nods. "What story shall I read to you with your bottle, boo? Do any of them look good?"