Chapter 76

Zayn's POV

I wake up to a thud followed by a loud cry. I lay staring at the ceiling for a moment, trying to figure out where I am, what's going on, and whether I should be worried. After determining that I'm at Louis' place, I realize that the fact that I don't have an answer to my second question means that the answer to my third question is yes, I probably should be worried. I slip out of bed and quickly pull on a shirt, not sure what I'm about to approach. I think I can still hear crying though, which I'd guess is Louis. Not sure what could have happened to him though.

Walking out into the hallway, I see that his bedroom door is open and there's a light on inside, but upon looking in, I discover that it's empty. The crying sounds are getting louder though, so I must be getting closer.

I peer into the darkness down the stairs for a moment before flicking the lights on, not wanting to try and go down them without being able to see where I'm going. Immediately, I see Louis at the bottom of the stairs, curled up beneath a pile of sheets and crying. I rush down quickly.

"Louis? Are you okay? What happened?" I frown when I reach the bottom and discover that he's naked from the waist down. "Louis? What's going on? Did you fall?"

"Baba, ouchie," he whines, and suddenly things make a lot more sense. He must have slipped at some point. That would make it much easier for him to fall down the stairs, and it explains why he's just lying there crying.

"Oh, bug, c'mere," I crouch down and pull him to a sitting position gently. "Did you hurt yourself, love?" Getting this close, I can tell that his sheets have a large wet spot on them and smell strongly of urine, which would explain the lack of clothing, but I'm not going to worry about that now. It seems he was trying to hide the accident, though I'd like to know if he was in headspace before he wet the bed or if it happened when he fell down the stairs. Both seem like plausible situations.

"Baba, ouchie. Ouchie!" Louis cries, wrapping his arms around me and sobbing.

"Where does it hurt, bud? Can you show me?" I can't see anything in particular, but his curled-up position isn't making it easy for me to investigate.

"Here," he points to a large red mark on his knee. It looks like he got a pretty solid rugburn from the stairs.

"Oh, love, that looks really painful. Shall we go get that taken care of?"

Louis nods, pouting. He's not sobbing anymore, but there are still tears in his eyes; occasionally one or two escapes and drips down his cheek.

I set the wet sheets off to the side, I'll take care of them later, and lift Louis carefully to bring him upstairs. I could just take care of his knee in the main floor bathroom, but he does need to go back up to bed at some point, and I should probably get him in a nappy sooner rather than later.

"Shh, Lou, you're alright. Baba's got you now. Hey, it's okay. We're going to get you all taken care of, and then you can go back to sleep. I bet you're sleepy, aren't you, bug?"

Reaching his bathroom, I set Louis down on the closed toilet lid, assuming he's in his normal headspace and not the really young one like last time. Thankfully he stays upright, which is a good sign. Somehow I think it will be easier to deal with a three-year-old headspace than baby headspace. (A/N If you say so Zayn...) At least he'll be able to talk to me, use enough words to express his needs.

I carefully clean his injury (which results in a few tears) and wrap it up before getting him in a nappy. I grab some sweats from his room and help him into those as well, then carry him to the guest room where I'm staying.