Chapter 85

I don't respond, my throat already choked up with tears. Instead, I just let myself be held for a few moments. When he lets me go, I whisper a "thank you" and rush out to the car.

Louis' POV

The first few minutes of the car ride are spent in silence. Lottie seems to realize that that's what I need right now, and I appreciate that.

I miss mum. I miss her so much, and I haven't really let myself be properly sad. I've been sad, of course I have, that's what started this whole ageplay adventure, but I haven't let myself grieve, not really. It's always been more of a self-pitying sadness.

I stare out the window and think about the past. I don't want to think about when she was in the hospital, I don't want to remember her being sick. Instead, I think about back when I was first on the X-Factor, when she was so supportive of me. I think about when I was a teenager and always causing trouble, and how she never got fed up with me. I think about how close we were, how I used to tell her everything.

Eventually, I come back to reality and realize I have tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm not gasping for breath, I'm not breaking down completely. I'm just sad, and I'm crying. I'm upset, but I'm in control.

I look over to Lottie to find her sneaking glances at me every once in a while.

When she sees me watching her, she smiles sadly, keeping her attention on the road. "I miss her too, Lou," she says softly. "I miss her every day. It's so hard, isn't it?"

This is what I love about my sister. She always knows what to say. She's gentle and sweet, but not afraid to be honest, just like Mum.

I start crying harder, small sobs escaping me in a way that makes Lottie looks over at me and sigh. A few moments later, she pulls over into the parking lot of an abandoned gas station and gets out.

"C'mere Lou," she says, opening my door for me.

I stand up and she pulls me in close for a hug. I let myself sink into her embrace.

"I miss Mum so much," she tells me. "I miss calling her for boy advice. I miss her telling me not to be silly when I was being overdramatic about things." Her voice cracks, her breathing shaky, and I can tell that she's crying now too.

We stand there for a while, just crying in each other's arms, being sad together.

"Thank you, Lottie," I say after a while, pulling back and wiping my eyes. "I needed that." Harry was right, I think I really did need a good cry like that.

"It's a good thing I didn't bother putting makeup on this morning," she laughs, wiping her own face dry.

I laugh too, and we both get into the car. For the rest of the ride, we blast the radio and sing along, the windows open despite the cold winter air. I haven't felt this light-hearted in ages, just totally letting myself relax.

When we get home, both sets of twins instantly attack us with hugs and questions.

"How long are you staying?"

"Louis, up!"

"Why did you come home?"

"We go to park?"

"Did you bring anything for us?"

I laugh, pulling Ernie up onto my hip as Lottie does the same with Doris.

Dan appears from the kitchen. "Welcome home, Louis, Lottie. Alright guys, how about we let them come in and put their bags down before we totally overwhelm them?"