Chapter 28

Liam's POV

Niall comes out of the bedroom alone, with a finger over his lips signaling us to be quiet. After he explains what happened with Louis under the bed, we decide the best course of action will be to just let him sleep it off, then pretend it didn't happen unless he wants to talk about it. I'm not sure it's good for him to not talk about the things that upset him, but then again, babies don't talk about their feelings, they just express them in tears, which seems to be almost exactly what just happened. So maybe in a backwards way, this was progress.

While we wait for Louis to wake up from his nap, we make dinner, as it's starting to get late. We are trying to adjust him to foods that are more babyish, and that he can eat with his hands, but without making it obvious or uncomfortable for him. I would have like to do it a bit faster, but obviously we aren't going to start having him eat spaghetti with his fingers yet. Today we're going to make chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, corn, and raw vegetables. Not overly healthy, which isn't ideal, but mostly finger food except the potatoes which can be eaten with a spoon.

The one thing I'm curious about is what's going to happen when Louis wakes up. We told him on Sunday that we wanted him to stay in his bed and call for us when he wakes up, but I'm not sure if he will remember.

"Payno! How long do potatoes have to cook?" Niall calls me out of my thoughts just as the doorbell rings, and I jump slightly before taking charge of the situation.

"Haz, get the door. Ni, just poke them with a fork and see if they are soft." I walk over to where Niall is hovering over the pot of boiling potatoes, now randomly stabbing at the swirling liquid with a fork. "Careful, Niall! Wear an oven mitt, and...ya know what, just let me do it!" Nudging Niall playfully out of the way, I reach to check the potatoes just as Harry comes bounding into the room.

"We got a package, and I bet I know what's inside!" I think I know too. It's probably the stuff we ordered for Louis, which is really good timing. I think it's time to start phasing some more babyish things in, because I think it will help him slip faster, even if it makes him a bit uncomfortable. Besides, I think he is more likely to slip when he's uncomfortable because it makes him vulnerable. Despite my excitement, I finish dealing with the potatoes before moving to the counter to help Harry and Niall before they make a mess of everything.

We pull out the teddy bear Louis chose, sippy cups, bottles, a couple of dummies that I picked, and some packages of nappies. In the bottom of the box, we find a baby monitor, which I forgot about, but will be incredibly useful.

"Niall, do you think we could sneak this into the room now? I want to see what happens when he wakes up."

"I don't know, mate. He might wake up if anyone goes in...but maybe it's worth a try. It's not the end of the world if his nap is shortened, he doesn't rely on them yet."

So, after we figure out how to work the device, Niall creeps into the bedroom, placing the monitor on the bedside table and escaping the room without waking up the sleeping boy. We put the receiver on the counter as we continue setting up for dinner. It's a pretty simple setup, really. We decided to just buy an audio set, as it was cheaper and this is only a temporary situation. Well, maybe. But if Louis decides he wants to continue, and if we think it would be helpful, we might think about buying the video kind. For now, it's not necessary.

 For now, it's not necessary