Chapter 84

When the others finish washing up, it'll be time to get him out of headspace for the visit to his family.

(time marker for those who are interested, this is February 21, 2017)

Niall's POV

While Liam and I wash dishes, we chat about, well, Louis. What else could we possibly talk about right now? I'm somewhat worried that he's still mad at me, not because I'm offended, but because I clearly managed to make him upset enough to hold that kind of grudge even when he's thinking in a younger mindset. But that's far from the most important thing right now; we need to get him feeling big in the next two hours or less. And with how upset he is, that's going to be a very difficult task.

When we head into the living room, Louis is sitting on Harry's lap and seems to be mostly uninterested in the tower Harry is building. We stand back and watch for a minute, trying to get a read on the situation. Harry keeps asking Louis questions or trying to get him to help build the tower, or take initiative on a certain part, but Louis seems to be mostly distracted, only interacting when Harry hands him a block and tells him to put it on the tower.

Eventually, Harry looks up and notices us.

"Oh hey, look, boo. Daddy and Dada are done with dishes. Do you want to go see them?"

Louis glances our way, shakes his head, and turns to bury his face in Harry's shoulder. Harry gives me a look that clearly implies 'well, I tried'. He stands, holding Louis, and moves to sit on a couch with him. Liam and I sit down on either side of the two of them.

"Louis," Harry says, trying to coax him out of where he's hiding his face. "I think we need to have a little conversation. C'mon, look at me, boo."

Slowly, Louis emerges, eyes red-rimmed and sad. He avoids my glance and just looks up at Harry.

Liam takes the floor next. "Louis. I know you're upset." Louis takes in a quick, shaky breath and Liam reaches to put a hand on his shoulder. "I know, Lou, I know. That's why we've decided that maybe it would be a good idea for you to go see your family today."

"Want mum," Louis whines, leaning back into Harry and fisting at his eyes. "Wanna go see mum."

I can't stand this. He's so upset and seems to be aware that he can't see his mum but yet keeps asking for her.

"Louis," I say, testing the waters. I don't know if he'll be willing to listen to me. "I know you want your mum. But guess what! Today you can spend some time with Dan and Lottie and the younger ones. Doesn't that sound nice?"

Louis just looks at me, chewing his bottom lip with a sad look in his eyes.

"Lottie's going to come get you in a little while," Harry explains. "But before that, you need to be big, okay?"

At that, he starts crying hard again. "Nooo! No big! Nuh-uh!"

"Louis, sweetheart, listen to me," Liam says softly, stroking Louis' hair with a gentle hand. "It's just for a day, you can come back here tonight and be little again if you want. Just a few hours, just to see your family for a bit."

"Jus' a lil bit?" Louis asks, eyes wide and teary. He takes several shaky breaths.

"Yes, boo, it's not for a long time, not unless you want to. We just want you to go see your family for today," Harry reassures, wiping the tears and snot off Louis' face. "You'll be alright, love."

"O-okay." Louis nods.

I feel like I need to say something, but I don't know what. I don't want to upset Louis by mentioning the story last night, but I feel like I should apologize.