Chapter 81

[Liam] hears loud cries coming from upstairs and immediately Harry and [Liam] both jump toinvestigate. 

Louis' POV 

A few minutes earlier... 

"Shall we read a story before bed, little one?" Dada asks. 

"Yes pwease Dada! Stories is da best!" I jump on the bed and sit next to him. "Wait, wait, Dada.I need Mistah Snuggles first. Where'd he go? He gots to be here for stories." 

"Right here, Lou. Remember, we tucked him into bed this morning so he could rest after beingon monster duty all night?" 

Oh yeah. Monster duty. That's super important. "Can I has him now?" 

Dada untucks Mr. Snuggles and looks at him. "I don't know Louis. Mr. Snuggles, are you readyto come read a story with us?"

 Mr. Snuggles nods. "Oh yes! I like stories! I'm coming Louis, I need snuggles during the story!" 

I grab him from Dada and cuddle up beside him. "Story now?" 

"Of course, little one. Today we're going to read 'Love You Forever' by Robert Munsch." 

I look at the pictures while Dada reads

I look at the pictures while Dada reads. I like all the cuddles in this book! But nobody has tosneak in to cuddle with me like the momma does in this book. I always want cuddles; I'm not toobig for them! The best part of the book is the little song he sings. Dada sings lots but this is areally nice, cuddly song!But then...what's going on in the story? Uh-oh! The momma is sick! And she's...she's... 

"Nooo!" I scream. "Nooo, Dada stop, stop, stop!" It's too sad; he can't read that book! He can't,he can't, he can't! I throw Mr. Snuggles at Dada to make him stop then wipe my eyes cuz I'mcrying now. 

"No, no sads! No want sads Dada! I want my muuum! Pwease, pwease, pwease I want mymum!" 

Dada is trying to talk but he can't cuz before when he talked he was reading the sad story and Ino want that no more so I yell louder. 

"NO! Too much sads! Nononononooooo!"I fall down on the floor and cry. Papa and Daddy are here now too and trying to talk but I don'twanna listen. I don't want them to say the sad stuff. I just want my mum now. I want her. I missher. 

Harry's POV 

When Liam and I arrive upstairs, we find Louis lying on the floor sobbing as though his hearthas just been shattered and Niall standing back just watching. I head straight for the distraughtlad, hoping to sooth him, leaving Liam to find out what's happening from Niall. I kneel next toLouis, just observing for a moment. He's curled up, sobbing hard, occasionally mumbling a fewunintelligible words between sobs or hitting his tightly balled fists against the ground. I reachone hand over, cautiously attempting to rub his back. He allows it for a few moments, but thenjerks away from me, yelling a very upset "no!" before continuing to sob. 

"Louis, boo, what's wrong? Hey, what's got you crying like this?" I ask gently, sitting down on thecarpet as I figure I'll be here for a while. "Can you calm down for me, Loubear? Try taking somebig breaths with me." I breathe loudly and slowly, but Louis doesn't seem to be paying anyattention. Again, I reach my hand out, this time towards his head. Surprisingly, he allows thecontact and I stroke his hair gently as he continues to cry. I talk soothingly while he cries,ignoring the movements of Niall and Liam in the room because Louis is starting to get a littlecalmer. He's still very upset and sobbing, but not nearly as intensely as when I first came in.Eventually, he starts moving little by little towards me, until he's curled up on my lap and cryingagainst my chest. I wrap my arms around him, rubbing his back and talking softly until we'reinterrupted. 

"Hey, Haz, just brought a bottle in case it'll help." Liam passes me a warm bottle of milk thenleaves the room again, bringing Niall out with him. 

"Would you like some milk, boo?" I ask, rubbing Louis's arm and holding the bottle up so he cangrab it if he wants. He shakes his head with a whine, holding my shirt tight with his fingers as hecries. 

"Oh, shh, Louboo. I've got you, love. I'm right here. Shh," I coo, rocking slightly. Louis just keepscrying, not showing any signs of getting calmer. Sometimes when he mumbles a couple words,his breath hitches and he sobs harder for a few seconds. After this happens a few times, Idecide to try intervening again. 

"Hey, hey, what's wrong, Lou? Talk to me, I'm listening." 

He looks up at me for a second, then turns his face into my shoulder and says something that Ican't quite hear. 

"I can't hear you like that, bud. Can you look at me when you talk?" 

Louis doesn't look at me, but he turns his face out of my shoulder and speaks, his voicequavery. "I-I...I...I miss...I miss my mu-uummm." After getting those few words out, he buries hisface in my shirt again as a fresh round of sobs shakes his body. 

I sigh. This isn't an easy problem to deal with. I don't even know where to start, not when he'slittle like this. 

"Oh, Louis, buddy, I'm sorry," is the only thing I can say, but I hold him tighter and rub his backas he cries into me. 

Slowly, the sobbing eases off into whimpering, which turns into sniffles, and then even that isgone. When I look down, Louis has fallen asleep on my lap, one hand clutching my shirt.I tuck him into bed, hoping he'll sleep through the night but knowing he probably won't, thencollect the now cool bottle and head downstairs, being sure to take the baby monitor with me.Niall and Liam look at me expectantly when I enter the kitchen, worry creasing both theirforeheads. 

"How is he?" Niall asks as I put the bottle in the fridge and take a seat with them. 

"Asleep, but very upset. I'd give it about two hours before he wakes up again." The others nod,and I set the baby monitor in the middle of the three of us. "What happened up there, Ni?" 

"I don't even know." Niall shakes his head, looking confused. "One minute I was reading him astory, the next he's throwing his teddy at me and screaming." 

"That's what you say," Liam protests, "but something must have set him off. Our Louis doesn'tjust scream for no reason." 

I sigh, totally confused. Something isn't quite making sense here; there's a piece missing fromthe story. The story! That's it! 

"Niall, what book were you reading to him?  

And here I am again with the slow updates... :/

What did you think of this chapter?

What's going to happen when Louis wakes up?

How are they going to deal with it?

Does anyone even still read this book?