Long nights waiting

We all stood on the steps of Nonnatus, the winter chill was freezing our bare arms and our breath but no one seemed to notice. Chummy was loaded into the ambulance and we could do nothing but pray that she made it to the hospital and that she and her baby would survive.
"And you make sure you hold her hand" sister Evangelina called after Peter as he climbed into the ambulance.
It felt wrong watching as she was carted away to hospital. The baby should've been delivered safely at Nonnatus but now she was being taken away.

We all sat around the living room in silence, drinking our tea. None of us knew what to say to break the silence or to calm one another. The ringing of the phone broke the silence and Trixie jumped up to answer it.
"I've watched people do this time after time, sitting, waiting for news, not knowing, hoping. Never really known what they felt, until now" sister Evangelina huffed feeling useless.
"She's still in theatre. There's been another hemorrhage" Trixie cried as she joined us on the sofa, Cynthia hugged her.
"We haven't got a telephone number for Madeira. Her family don't even know what's happened" Cynthia said hugging Trixie.
"Yes they do, Chummy's family is here in this room" Jenny said making sister Evangelina smile.
"Yes they are" sister julienne smiled squeezing my hand, and making me smile in return.
Patrick and Timothy appeared in the living room.
"We heard about Chummy, I'm so sorry" Patrick said looking round the room at everyone.
"She's been taken to hospital, she had a second hemorrhage in theatre" sister julienne explained.

We all sat in a deafening silence stitching and knitting not speaking any words between us. Timothy lay fast asleep on Patrick's shoulder as he read one of the many books that lay around Nonnatus.

Throughout that endless day and night we waited for news that didn't come. It seemed we had never been closer to, never more subsumed into a single task.

Many find the concept of holy silence puzzling, but as we worked and prayed, there was no need to speak at all.