Theft

The sisters sat in the sitting room.
"I saw constable Noaks when I was cycling past the banana sheds. And do you know his face was as long as a fiddle" sister Bernadette said as she stopped sewing.
"All bobbies are romantics at heart. It's what lures them into the force in the first place" sister Evangelina said as she continued stuffing.
"Can we please not embark on another discussion of nurse Browne's private life?" Sister julienne asked.
"Would you rather we talked about something else?" Sister Evangelina said casting a glance at sister Monica Joan.
"I'd rather everyone concentrated on their handicrafts, it seems we're all on edge" she said drawing into her book.
"And the reason for that of course is entirely obvious, Saturn is in retrograde again" she said attempting to knit.
"This one's gone through at the crotch" sister Evangelina huffed "I need some red wool to mend it. Sister Monica Joan? Would you be so kind as to pass me your knitting bag?" She asked nicely.
"I'm sorry. I'm casting on" she said attempting to knit again. Sister Evangelina huffed and grabbed the bag causing a necklace, a ring and a bracelet to fall out onto the floor. They all stared at the jewelry and each other in shock.
"I haven't the faintest notion where they came from" sister Monica Joan said looking at them in confusion.

Sister Bernadette sat in the chapel facing the alter.
"You have a soft spot for the old bat don't you?" Chummy asked taking a seat next to me.
"I admire her and she's lonely" she said.
"It's a lonely life I'm lead to believe sister or at least a peaceful one, rules and all that. So many roads one doesn't have to go down" she said quietly.
"Your not thinking of taking holy orders?" She asked looking at her.
"It has presented itself as a solution" Chummy frowned.
"It wouldn't be a solution, it would be a hiding place. A habit cannot hide you from the pain of the world and the pain of loving someone. I came here to hide from the death of my mother and my overprotective brothers yet I haven't escaped anything at all" she told her.
"You can have Peter, Chummy. There's nothing and nobody standing in your way" she told her.
"Yes there is" she said as we both faced the alter.