Buttons

"I heard you and chummy had fun with the gas and air earlier" sister Bernadette said as she took the urine samples from Dr Turner's hands.
"Yes, nurse Noaks fell asleep" he chuckled lighting the cigarette that was between his lips.
"Oh dear" she chuckled with him, placing the box of urine on the kitchen side.
"It was quite amusing for the mothers to watch" he said making us chuckle again.
"Doctor could you come and take a look at this please" Trixie said appearing at the doorway.
"Of course nurse" he said stubbing his cigarette out and following Trixie back to her cubical.
Lunch at Nonnatus house
"That gas and air is positively amazing, already we've delivered 3 babies" Trixie smiled taking a sandwich off the table.
"That's it no more gas and air at home deliveries I've had it out with Dr Turner and he has conceded defeat" she smiled taking her seat at the table.
"Surely not?" Sister Bernadette added.
"Women have been begging for gas and air!" Jenny said sounding just as shocked as I was.
"And you have absolutely no business giving into them" she said sternly "doctors been prevented from seeing half his paitents, he's just sat at his desk and his face was grey" she said sounding more sincere.
"I'm sorry sister but it's 1958 women want pain relief" Trixie fired back.
"Good management of labour is not about medical folderols, it is about care and making sure the woman feels supported" she said sternly again.
"Besides we already carry pethidine nitrous oxide simply isn't practical" sister julienne added.
"If you ask me Dr Turner's completely over reached himself" sister Evangelina said pouring herself some tea.
"Has anyone else noticed a buttons come off his clinical coat? He's got no one to sew it on for him" Cynthia said sipping her tea.
"It hardly inspires confidence! And his poor little boy is looking quite unkempt" Trixie said.
"Speak more respectfully of doctor please and I'll thank you to hand me the malt loaf" I said ending the conversation completely.
Later the next day
Dr Turner hung up his clinical coat on the rack and made his way out of the community center to begin his rounds. Sister Bernadette had already packed everything away and now there was only one thing left to do. She got to work sewing the button back onto his coat.

Dr Turner entered the building, forgetting to pick up his cigarettes that lay on the kitchen counter in the kitchen. He froze by the door seeing sister Bernadette sewing his button back on to his coat. He always thought of her as a kind and gently soul. But today is the day he finally comprehended it, she was always kind and a gentle soul even when no one was around to witness it. He left the community center silently thinking it was best to leave her alone...
Love cannot ease every anguish in the world but tenderly applied, it can transfigure fortunes, light up faces. Turn the tide.