forty-nine

The Best kind of Love
~•°•~

There were things that happened for a reason. Some, meant to be great, some meant to be sad, and some meant to change your life. And what was happening was neither of the three. Lyra grimaced as she tried to think of way distracting herself from the pain in her heart. After hearing what Felix had to say, she wasn’t too certain about Gael. She grimaced, not feeling the same kind of security she felt earlier today.

Her feet slowly trudged through the woods, letting the scent of many other wolves to waft into her nose. In the clear light of the day, she tried to convince herself that her world wasn’t becoming crappy.

Part of her knew that hanging to a sliver of hope Ignacios gave her was a mistake waiting to happen. But she held on to it, grabbed it by the thread and wrapped it around her hand.

But why exactly? That thread was like fire, leaving a scorching trail on her skin. She took herself back in time, trying to remember how Ignacios held her so slowly. Her skin prickled with sudden desire anticipation as she imagined his eyes looking at her with a desire and hunger. She gulped at the idea. In the blurred lines of her own thoughts, holding on to his promise was the only constant thing.

Ever so slightly, she let her fingers drag through the bark of every tree she passed on. The rough texture only reminded her of the scar on her neck. She grimaced with pain. It was a burn mark that constantly reminded her that Evan still had a hold on her. But with Ignacios, she forgot all about him. She wondered if Iggy would still take her then when it boiled down to them being alone.

She sighed, sitting down on the ground, leaning against a tree. The silence of the forest was what she needed as she tried to throw the fact that her whole world was crumbling down. But the recluse of the moment was interrupted when the familiar strong scent of a wolf in anger crept into her nose. She gazed over her shoulder and peeked behind the tree. It was who she thought it was. He had followed her scent again.

Ignacios walked with a worried frown on his lips. Eyes darkened as he walked over to her.

“My moon.” He almost cried.

Her eyes softened as he neared her. His knees hit the ground and he cupped her cheeks. The sudden contact of his rough skin caused fires inside in her. She reddened as she stayed still, trapped between his caring eyes and loving touch.

“What are you doing here?” She asks.

She nervously let her tongue ran over her lip. Anxiousness was drowning her. It made her feel weak just to feel him near her own body.

“I just had to see you,” he pressed his lips together. “I think I almost died seeing that gun pointed at you.”

She was silent. At the moment the pistol’s muzzle dredged in her direction, she thought it might have been the end. But when she saw him standing there, she held so much fear in her eyes. She was afraid it might kill him instead of her.

Gently, his red pale lips landed on her temple as he enveloped her into his arms. The erratic beating of his heart was a lull that made the muscles of her body fail to respond, turning her into mush. It was odd how she could just melt in his arms so easily when everything around her fell apart into large pieces of rubble.

“I hadn’t slept one single minute last night. I only thought of you.” He murmurs against her ear.

His warm breath fanned her neck. It sent shivers down her body. She looked at him straight in the eyes and touched his face. He breathed in sharply as he held her hand against his cheek, kissing it as he closed his eyes. In their tiny little world, Lyra reveled in her love for him. His willingness to show his vulnerability was what showed her how much courage he had in his heart.