twenty-five

Cruel Deception

~•°•~

After putting Gael down, she made her way towards her father's log cabin. The thought of seeing Felix there eerily sneaked past her mind. She grimaced, not wanting to see him. Of course, she was happy that he was back, but if it were in different circumstances, maybe she would have already hugged him. Lyra couldn't deny the confusion in her mind and heart.

She had just discovered that her whole life was a lie. Did she even deserve the hate given by the wolves from her pack?

She isn't Christine and Todd's daughter. That would only mean her family must be still alive. Then she remembered Iggy's wolf. Lyra hoped she could trust him, if not she would still try and do everything she can.

The cabin appeared in her sight, the windows lit up with warm light. Her feet trudged through the door and she was greeted by a powerful scent. That of a wolf from the South. The scent was too powerful it made her nose scrunch.

"Edward?" she said. But no one answered. She let herself in and saw Felix sitting on a couch, his nose buried between the pages of a familiar book. "Lex, what are you doing?"

His grey eyes looked at her with surprise, making her mind leap back to Iggy. Why did they have to look so much alike?

He smiled, a simple on his chin showing up. "I was just reading, I guess I missed Ned's stories."

Slowly, she sat beside him on the arm of the couch. She took a look at the book in his hand and realized it was the storybook Edward used to read to them when they were still kids. Her heart was pinched when memories suddenly trickled back into her thoughts.

"Fairy Tales, huh?" she took the book from him.

Lyra stood up and looked at him, his eyes tracking her every movement. She stood exactly in front of him and turned the pages one by one.

"Edward used to read it to the three of us, I always wanted him to read The Three Musketeers." Felix smiled.

"Yeah, it was always nice when he got to get together. I think I kinda miss it."

She did miss it, especially because her family was complete. Just her, Iggy, Felix and Edward. Just the four of them. But now she couldn't even trust one of them. Their family was shattered and Lyra was afraid to hold onto one of them, especially Iggy.

Lyra felt the atmosphere shift. She felt suddenly cold as she sat there. The look on Felix's face made her feel for him. She wondered if he was still mad with Ignacios.

"I miss the old Ignacios. I miss my brother."

For a moment, Lyra watched him sullenly think by himself. He wasn't alone, she wanted Ignacios back too. But healing was now a bleak thought that only hang on the tip of her bewildered mind.

"But that doesn't matter now." He said as he shook his head.

She didn't answer, instead, she nodded lightly. She remembered what Ignacios said, don't believe Felix. Lyra wanted to know what Felix was doing here. She knew whatever the rift between the two brothers was, she wanted no part of it.

"What does matter, Felix?"

He looked at her, his hopeful eyes that reminded her of his innocence shined with hope.

"There are things more important than that now."

Lyra's answer stayed on her tongue as Edward appeared from the kitchen. His body lathered in some kind of oil. She looked unto him, trying to decipher the feeling that was growing in her chest.