forty

What is Betrayal?
~•°•~

It’s been a couple of months since Edward departed his pack without any permission. He had no choice. Had he chose to raise Lyra in his pack all the while smelling like her rogue mother, everything would only lead into a disappear.

As he looked at her smiling daughter, he couldn’t help but smile.

The way her red curls get tangled on her tiny fingers. How her eyes shine with amusement as she giggled at everything. She was his hope, and he wanted the best for her.

But living in the woods with dwindling resources was not it. It pained him that he could only feed her wild berries and a small amount of meat from small games he catches. She needed more. A real life and a real family.

Edward sighed as he stared up at the sky, cradling his sleeping daughter in his arms. Since he left the Northern lands, he was officially declared rogue. She didn't deserve this life. So many times he thought of giving Lyra up, but he couldn't do it. The fear of trusting a stranger always overwhelmed him.

But he willed himself, knowing his chosen mate, Layca had taught him to be independent.
He felt tired.

Tired of being weak, tired of always overthinking every single thing that crosses his mind. He shut his eyes and blew out air.

“Sleep well, pumpkin.” he leaned down kissing his daughter's temple.

~•°•~

A cold rush of wind brush pass his cheeks waking him up. He yawned, flickering his eyes. He took a glance at Lyra, her gray eyes wide open, watching her father with curiosity.

He smiled, poking her cheeks, making her giggle loudly. He slowly stood up, prepping for another move.

From a distance, he heard a twig snapping. He became alert, snapping his vision from side to side. His grip on Lyra tightened, as he took a defensive form. His left hand slowly dug through his pocket, pulling out a silver dagger.

He stared through the leaves, breathing sharply. When suddenly, a hand popped out behind a tree.

“Wait…we come in peace.” The voice seemed very familiar. He lowered his hand, tucking the knife back into his pocket.

“Todd, is that you?” He asks.
Todd peered his head from behind the tree and made his way towards him. Behind him was Christine who was patently shocked.

“Ned?” She whispers. “Where did you get this small bundle of joy?”

Christine held his daughter in her hand, seeing the sheer joy it bought her when she held his daughter. The way her eyes glistened with uncapped happiness as she looked up to him with a nervous smile.

Although Christine was completely beguiled and enamored with Lyra, Todd frowned with vehemence. He knew who the child belonged to. It was as if he already read through him.

“Ned, why do you have-” Before Todd could finish, he cut him off.

“I found her,” he lied. Feeling a spear makes its wake through his very soul. “she was  left to die in the woods.”

“What?” Christine gasped. “Who would do such to a beautiful thing?”

Edward couldn’t fathom why it felt like this was happening for a reason. Christine and Todd were a couple trying to get themselves their own child.

Should he? Just question made him almost want to vomit.

He contemplated. A life with a full family would be perfect for Lyra. Where she could be happy, knowing she has a full and loving family.