thirty-nine

Name the Stars
~•°•~

Edward hastily strode towards his Alpha’s office. For the past few months, he had been spending too much with the rogue he met in the woods. Too much so that he had been missing shifts. He couldn’t help himself. His absence in his line of duty did not go unnoticed by Jopheil.

Spending time with Layca, something in him flamed. Slowly, she was pulling him out of the broken rut he was in. Her radiant personality and beautiful smile helped him with letting go of Henley.

She made his life worth living again.

With every single movement she made, everything she said, he saw Henley’s likeness. Why did it feel wrong?

Henley would want him to move past from the pain, right?

Edward felt this very warm connection when it came into Layca. He felt what he called “The shittening.” when he looked at her. He liked her too much and he was very afraid to admit it.

He entered his Alpha’s office, seeing Carmina, Christine, and Todd gathered around Jopheil. The four of them joyously chuckling together. His Alpha’s eyes landed on him. He shot him a smile.

“Awe, Ned. Please, come in.” Jopheil embraced him tightly and patted him on the shoulder.

He hugged him back. Alpha Jopheil was always the softest when it came to them. He was a great friend but also a great leader.

“What’s the occasion?” He asks.

“Awe, yes. Always on the move, Ned. We’re having a small get-together for Todd and Chris here. They’re traveling through the country to try to find a way for Chris to have her own child, and since Todd, our head seeker is leaving, I will need you to step into his place and be our temporary head seeker.”

To be a head seeker? He frowned, that would mean he would be spending less time with Layca.

With reluctance, he smiled and gave his Alpha a smile.

“With grace, Alpha. Thank you.”

As Edward averted his eyes behind his Alpha, he saw how Todd’s eyes raked Carmina’s body.

He wanted to say something, but maybe he was just seeing things?

“I knew, I could trust you.  Thank you.”

“No problem, sir. May I please go now?” He asks.

He had already planned a meeting with Layca later that evening. And if he was going to spend more time here, he would be late.

Jopheil raised his brows. “Leaving so soon? You don’t have a hot date do you?”

He did but it wouldn’t be wise to tell his Alpha he was secretly seeing a rogue.

“I’m sorry, sir but, my shift’s about to start.”

Jophiel pursed his lips. “Fine then. But you’re more than welcome to join us for my eldest son's second birthday.” He smiled at Edward and then dismissed him.

He exited rushing back to the woods.

~•°•~

“Look at the sky Ned, it’s like a carpet of stars.” She said with childike wonder.

He looked at her. Her lips curved up, her eyes twinkling with pure amusement. To hell with the stars, the view of her beautiful pale face was all he needed. Her soft hand lightly touching his, causing him to shiver with overwhelming delight.