forty-five

You're my Moon
~•°•~

Lyra’s legs trembled as every step she took carried her deeper into the woods. She stayed near the main road, hoping for a sign that might lead her to her friend. So far so bad. Anxiousness was with her. She feared for the worst, afraid of seeing Gael in a dangerous state of pain but not death. She promised herself she wouldn’t think of it. He was safe, at least she hoped so.

The sun slowly started to disappearing from the horizon, leaving behind the tail of it’s ray to light the sky a few more minutes before darkness starts to consume the surrounding area. Lyra walked through the foliage of bushes and trees, carrying Iggy’s unsheathed knife in her right hand. She was starting to get paranoid. Just the fear of a wolf suddenly coming out from behind one tall tree. Maybe it was a bad idea to go alone, she realized. But then again, there were wolves guarding the Northern borders.

It should be fine. She says to herself.

“Gael!” She screamed at the top of her lungs. Her voice reverberated, bouncing from tree to tree but not one sound aided the terrible feeling in her.

She hoped it wasn’t what she feared. In anger, she tightened her grip on her knife and shook her head, angrily stomping her foot. She could feel her wolf inside of her stirring. If only she could shift into her wolf, everything would be easy. It’s been a year since she’s shifted and doing so would render her weak, even destroy her body. Wolves shift at least once every week to stretch and be comfortable in a new body. That’s why she was afraid of doing it. It had been too long.

“Gael!” She screamed again but to no avail, only the whispering wind answered. “Please…”

Lyra whispered her last word, sighing as she walked further into the night. She continued her search. Calling Gael’s name over and over again. But to no avail, no one answered. Half an hour later, the cold wind picked up, causing a terrible shrill to move down her spine. There was something in the far distance that caught her full attention. A mossy path of stone leads to an old little shack. Surprisingly, it was in great condition. Looking like it had been cleaned. The windows were spotless, the stairs, although rickety along with the porch, were also swept dusted.

“Odd.” She thought, stepping on the stairs.

She stomped her boots, making dusk fall off from the ceiling.

“Hello…? Is someone here?” Her knuckles lightly knocked on the door. But no one answered. She peeked through the window. Inside the shack was lit up by moonlight seeping through another window. She could see a small bed, enough to fit two people in. Beside it was two small cradles. One blue and the other one red. Plates and other food utensils lay eerily still near the window. Chairs, stools, curtains and other things were perfectly placed and properly taken care of.

She breathed in heavily, hoping she wasn’t about to meet the owner of the home she was trespassing. As she opened the room, a bellowing wind followed her inside. A familiar scent entered her nostrils. Her eyes widened as she realized who it belonged to.

“Neddy…”

Edward’s familiar scent was stuck on every single nook and cranny of the building. His scent was fresh. Lyra wondered if this was his hidden home away from the pack. She trembled, another scent was in here. Not like Edward’s, the scent was old. She realized it belonged to a female wolf. Her feet brought her to the bed, feeling the soft foam against her cold fingers. Something was amiss. Something odd with how everything in there looked as if it was stuck in time. She shook her head, knowing she probably shouldn't be in there. But as she turned, a tall figure stood on the door frame.