forty-eight

A wolf of Words
~•°•~

It was over and he had just lost her forever. There were no chances of redeeming himself. That was his fault and entirely his. It was so hard to fathom how disgusting he felt inside. Shame was an overwhelming sensation that glowed brightly on his cheeks. He had his tail tucked between his legs. Being disappointed with himself was not a familiar feeling. A wolf like him prided himself with success, but he no longer felt like that. It made him want to hurt himself knowing he had hurt the people he loved.

First, it was Ignacios. He threatened to take away Lyra from him. And now it was Lyra that despised him for failing to tell the truth.

As he walked towards the cabin, he thought of ways how to apologize to her. But who he found was not who he expected. It was the tall disheveled figure of Edward that stood against the porch. Eyes beaming with a wave of torrential anger. He hoped it wasn’t what he expected. Felix could feel how his eyes burnt through his body, almost melting him.

“Sir.” He addressed him as he trembled.

Edward’s hand gripped the wooden railing he was leaning on. It was truly a frightening scene. Like a beast waiting to explode. Looks like word travels terribly fast. He grimaced.

“What is this rumor I keep hearing about?” The wolf asks.

“I only heard it in the morning too when I headed for breakfast. People know she’s marked.” He replied with a low tone.

“This is stupid. Whoever spread the rumor needs their head twisted.” The hate in his voice was all too obvious. “She’s not marked, she was burnt.”

Burnt. The word alone made Felix scowl.

“The young Seeker, I think Jasper was his name. He tried to shoot her. He was afraid of her.”

Felix remembered how the Seeker froze with fear as he trained the muzzle of his handgun in his way. At the moment, he was frozen too. If Ignacios didn’t come and helped, a bullet might be logged in his guts. Even in the moment of sheer shock, there was Ignacios to save the day. His brother will never fail to impress him even further.

“Ah, it’s understandable. The young kid was from the East. His parents served their Alpha before, he’s only been the Head Seeker for two years.”

It was odd how a teenager was appointed to that position. And a very unstable one at that.

“Listen to me, Felix. Get Lyra out of here now and stay hidden, if push comes to shove, I will do it myself.”

There was that again. The constant commands that still led to nowhere. He didn’t want to fail Edward but he had gone tired of it all. With all his courage, he looked him straight into the eyes and spoke.

“No.” He says. “I’m tired of all of this. I’m not going to help you anymore.”

Edward’s jaw locked.

“That’s not a very funny thing to say.”

He almost snorted. After hearing everything from Esmeralda, it had felt like a revelation. Why Edward was too desperate to keep his daughter safe. It was a frugal attempt to patch things up when all the pieces of his story were too small to even fit in his fingers. It hurt him to even think about the things that had happened in his childhood. To be bullied and hurt for no reason at all. She went through it all. He grimaced at the thought. But he stood firm with the need to talk to him overcoming his fear.