thirty-four

~•°•~

The morning after the big dinner just seemed like it was painful. Maybe she was crazy when she didn’t admit the fact it still felt good whenever she thought about it.

She was sitting on the lake’s shore, letting the sunlight kiss her skin.

She felt like an idiot, damning her own thoughts. What was she supposed to do when all of the things around were making her go insane? But she wasn’t about to stress about it now.

Her thoughts slightly drifted off to Gael and how she wasted the time telling him about what she knew, but at least he was home, safe and sound.

The peace around her was interrupted by the sound of pebbles scattering under someone’s feet. She turned her head to see Edward, walking towards her with a calm look on his face.

“Lyra.” He called out for her name.

She didn’t answer, all she did was look down at her naked feet. Edward sat beside her, his shoulder leaning against hers.

“Where’s Felix?” She murmurs, wondering what he was doing.

It wasn’t unusual for him to disappear suddenly, but after what happened last night, maybe he would be relaxing.

“You know him, he likes to do his morning run in the woods.” Edward turned to her.

Serenity hung over them like a cool shade despite the sun shining above the sky.

“The lake seems so peaceful every time. I guess that's why I like it here.”

“You like everything and everyone, Ned.” She says, still staring at the water. Watching the steam rise off above the water and vanishing into the sky.

He chuckles, nodding his head. “Not everything and everyone, Lyra.”

She turned to face him, seeing the warm blue eyes of her father look at her.

“Well, I know you hate olives.” She says, remembering a time when he lectured her about olives shouldn’t have existed.

He smiled at her. Slowly, his big calloused hand lightly touched her cheek. It was warm and familiar, the caring touch of her father, something she had not felt for a long time.

“You look just like your mother.” Edward looked at her sadly, the pain and sorrow in his eyes slowly affecting her.

Did he even know the truth about her parents?

“I don’t know, maybe I don’t.” She shrugged her shoulders, helplessly sighing with dread.

Edward cocked his head.

“What are you saying, Lyra?”

“I’m not Christine and Todd’s daughter.” She breathed out.

There was an emotion written across his face. Something she was having a hard time deciphering. It was both dread and fear.

“I see, when did you find out?” He gulped.

“Weeks ago, Ned. I had to ask from Aunt Sophia, from all people, it took me asking Sophia to know the truth. I showed her the photo in your living room.”

“I guess that explains why it went missing.” He sighed.

Edward turned silent, closing his eyes as he thought of something.

Lyra couldn’t help but wonder if Edward had something to do with this. Edward was always against everything Larry did.

“Somewhere out there, my parents are alive. And I’m going to find them.” She was determined to do so.