forty-three

Because It's You
~•°•~

There was a rule about wolves that everyone always followed. But the radicals, such as the wolves from the Midlands break their words. Lyra knew it too well. After learning that Gael had been taken away, she was restless.

Somewhere in her depths, it felt like it was her fault and every second that passed slowly made her wilt way. As she sat, trembling like a child in front of Ignacios, she had her lip tightened, gaze fixed on the glass of water in her hands.

“I have to find him.” She stood, setting her glass beside her.

Ignacios frowned, his clear opposition to her idea marred on his face.

“No.” He firmly objects.

“I don’t need you to tell me what to do.”

Nothing was about to stop her. It was if this was already a sign. Rogues have already infiltrated the pack, with luck, whoever took her friend might still be in the North. Lyra locked her jaw, glaring at him as he stood, towering over her like a tall tree. His aura was overwhelming, intoxicating even. As he stared into her eyes, her wolf boiled inside of her, howling in his close proximity.

“Oh yeah? What were you planning to do? Run around the woods, fight every rogue you see until one craps out some kind of information about Gael?” He bellows.

“Maybe, maybe that’s my plan. I don’t know, God! I just want to find him.”

“What is he even to you?”

“If you haven’t noticed, Gael’s the only one who was making sense around here, he was the only one who treated me like I was normal.”

Her breath was cut short, eyes aflame with terrifying anger as her fists balled on her sides.

“You didn’t answer my question, who is he to you?”

Unkempt anger slowly consumed the light in his eyes. Darkness was slowly prevailing within him. Never in her life has she seen him so angered before. The way he breathed in heavily as his lips formed into a tight disapproving knot, brows creased with what she could only imagine was a pure tempest.

“He’s a friend, why? Why are you even so caught up with him?”

“Because I don’t like it when what is mine goes through the hands of the people I barely know.”

She smiled at him. It was not concerned that bloomed in the corner of his eyes.

“You’re jealous, that’s what you are.”
With a whim, she felt his hand grab her arm firmly, pulling her close. The darkness in his eyes slowly subsided and his pose soften. His calm and reserved nature came back. The incredible reaction her skin brought to him almost scared her.

“Yes, yes, I am.” He says. “And I’m not a very stable wolf when I get jealous.”

Suddenly, she felt trapped. His musk was too overwhelming. The way her heart palpitated strongly against her trembling chest had made her feel angered, bothered, and confused. Partly because, half of her mind was caught up with finding Gael immediately, the other was held up by the deluge of different sensations that pranced around in her. Iggy held her. Slowly, he pulled her closer.

“Last night, when we kissed, tell me it meant something to you.” He whispered. “Tell me, please.”

“Why does it even matter, Ignacios? You and I both know, that even if it did, we’d still end up hurting each other.”