twenty-seven

The Mate
~•°•~

Cool air whipped her hair as she steadily walked beside Gael. He was talking about a cake he had been dreaming about for days now, a dream cake he wanted to make. After they were done with their date, it was already afternoon. She spent half of the day laughing at his jokes and the other half listening to his stories. They were headed off to the cabin and take a little rest.

“Have you spoken to Ignacios, yet?” Lyra asked.

“Nope, probably later. I know I should have had asked in advance but he hasn’t really been out of his room. Wolfsbane, I guess is one shitty thing.” He answered.

Lyra nodded. No one knows that Lois poisoned and forced Iggy to make her his mate. If that secret comes out, Lois will be ruined and will be forced out of the pack. But what would happen to Iggy? The pack’s trust in him would also be affected if he was weak enough to get dragged by Lois’ egregious fingers.

As they walked, Lyra couldn’t help but touch the thought that she had placed in the backside of her mind. Lois did something Gael. She had mated with him and he doesn’t remember.

She looked up at him, seeing the happiness glaze his eyes.

“What’s wrong?” he asks as he noticed her burning gaze. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

He was oblivious and innocent, just like Ignacios. The both of them we’re only victims, she realized now.

“Nothing.” She plastered a lopsided smile on her face.

“Oh, good. You know for a moment there, the way you were staring at me, I thought you were falling in love with me.” He said with a sly smirk on his lips.

She rolled her eyes. “With a mug like that? I’d rather rot and die.”

“If you say so.” He chuckled. The lake had appeared as they arrived into the clearing. It’s no wonder why Edward had decided to live in here, this place was truly magnificent.

On the swing that hung on the cabin’s porch, she saw the pair of dark grey eyes that made her legs tremble with the slightest of any movement. It was dangerous to think that she was now starting to remember how good it felt to secretly love him, but she stayed on her ground, denying the intense beating of her battered heart.

“What’s he doing here?” Gael whispered beside her.

She only shrugged her shoulders, letting her tongue run over her lower lip as a feeble attempt to calm herself.

“Don’t know.”

What was he doing here? The last time she saw him, he was still very weak, looking pale and sickly, but now as she slowly approached him, the color in him had returned. He stood from where he was and faced her.

“My Alpha, blessed be the Moon.” Gael greeted, lowering his head in respect.

“May She shine,” Ignacios replied, causing a ripple in her chest. She caught his eyes, the warmth they possessed had surprised her. “Lyra…”

Before this, his voice was the safest thing she knew, but now it was only made caution signs around her heart.

“Ignacios.” She said, trying her best to distance herself.

“I need to talk to you about something really important.” He said with a firm tone. “In private.” His gaze darted towards Gael.

“Yes, Alpha. But first, I wanted to ask your permission. I’m going to leave tonight and will need assistance going through the Midlands.” Gael said, hoping for approval.