(4).

"Murders"

Maxwell had promised to be okay. She wished he never said it aloud. Those words that came out of his lips meant something else. She was more scared and anxious than ever.

It was unfortunate for Luke to be around. What did he even want? Why was he back there lurking around? He was the one who broke off their relationship the moment her mom got sick and their family broke down. He was the one who hurt her. What did he want?

Her phone chimed on her little bed in her room and she hurriedly answered the call. "Hello." she cleared her throat.

"Woah your voice keeps getting old." her brother, Jack laughed on the phone and she sighed. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing. Shouldn't you be sleeping? It's past bedtime."

"High school sucks sissy."

"I know." she sighed again.

"So tell me, did you make up?"

"What?"

"Oh don't pretend. We all know Luke ran to you again. He begged for your number and your address and I handed it to him. You should forgive him now Alicia." her hands shook around the phone. "Alicia,"

"Yeah?" She cleared up her throat and looked around the room. "He didn't come here. I'm sure he was lying to you again. You know how good he is at lying. Think about it, he broke up with me three years ago. Why will he suddenly look for me?"

"I'm so dumb. I should've thought of it. I should kick his ass when I see him."

"There won't be a need for that anymore." she sighed. Her brother was quick enough to change the subject of their conversation. He talked to her about her old town and how things have been going on smoothly except for her mom. She took her bath and tried to fall into slumber.

All she thought of was Luke's bloody body and Max's petrified face. Max was a dilemma to her. She shouldn't have poked her nose in his business. That business turned out to be her business eventually. Her thoughts sparred in her head. She angrily stood up from the bed and grabbed a jacket and shorts. She wore it in a hurry and walked out of the room. She locked her door and pocketed her hands in her jacket.

Everyone would question her about Luke. She will be the one they will point fingers at and she was ready for headlines like,

'An indignant ex girlfriend stabs her ex boyfriend over her insatiable desires for him.'

"Ali," she heard Max's dulcet voice over the bleak night. She looked on her right and Maxwell was really there in a black pullover and dark jean. Who gave him the permission to look so handsome after killing someone and who gave him the permission to call her Ali on his icy lips. "Can't sleep?" he smiled at her and moved closer to her.
She might hate him but she was so relieved he was okay.

"You're really okay."

"I promised." Synching with his promising voice, he drew closer to her. "I'm sorry." he apologized. "I let my anger and insecurities do this to your friend. I'll go to hell if you ask me to. That won't even make up for it. Here," he reached out his arms. "... I'm giving you the chance to do whatever you want with me. I'll want to do the same thing to whoever killed the love of my life too."

"I might not have killed him physically but in my head I did to him years ago. He was dead to me Max and he is not the love of my life."

"You dated the douchebag?" she raised an eyebrow at him. "You really have some taste Ali. He is so unlikeable" he laughed and she was the fool for smiling to his laughter. It was addictive. "Anyway, does my offer still stand?"