F i f t y - T w o

Avery's POV:

"Yeah, Gabriella." Giovanni Demarco, Kyle's maternal uncle, said.

"Gabriella." Kyle said with a slight smile on his face as he tested the name on his lips. As he turned around, I moved my head back while leaning into the wall before they could spot me. 

Sighing a breath of relief, I moved back towards the door when I was sure I hadn't been noticed.

"Hm, And do you know any information about her? Where does she live? Was she adopted? Which school does she go to? Anything?" Kyle said, asking Giovanni. Giovanni nodded towards one of his people and the guy stepped forward. His head slightly bowed towards Kyle, as he said, "We still haven't been able to find anything else on the child, Sir.  This was the only piece of information we could get our hands on. The nurses and the doctor who delivered the baby were all killed an year after her birth. All records have been wiped clean. It's like-"

"Someone didn't want her to exist. Or us to ever find her." Giovanni finished the guy's sentence as he stared at Kyle. He gave Kyle a look as he said, "And we all know a person who is capable of doing this."

"Lockwood." Kyle finished, his jaw clenching while staring back at Giovanni.

"Kyle, I think you and I should have a little talk with Mr. Lockwood tonight." Kyle's uncle said giving Kyle a smirk as he stood up, buttoning his coat.

The guy standing beside them started, "We should take his daughter too to help negoti-" 

"No!" I almost flinched as Kyle's booming voice filled the room. "That's not happening!" Kyle breathed as if he was shaken from visible anger. He sighed, slightly calming himself down as he said, "Avery's not going to be used like that again. From now let's keep her out of this shit."

As soon as Kyle said that, Giovanni's voice filled the study room, "I think you're forgetting who she is, Kyle. A Lockwood. Remember the last time we let a Lockwood into our Family? He almost fucking destroyed it!" He said, sighing in irritation.

"I don't care about whatever you're saying. Avery's not her father. She'll never do anything like you're so afraid of. " Kyle said meeting Giovanni's eyes as to make his point. "I trust her." A sense of vulnerability echoed in his eyes as he softly mumbled the last words, his eyes still locked with Giovanni. 

Too Late for that Kyle. Too Fucking Late.

"Avery will no longer be involved in any of this. And that's final." Kyle finished, locking his eyes with all of the people in the room to make sure everyone understood. He stood up from his seat and started making his way towards the door as all the men in the room slightly bowed his head towards him in respect.

Oh Shit! Time to go, Avery.

I tiptoed down the hallway and into the Kitchen before he opened the door. Hiding behind its door, I saw him making his way towards his home office. I breathed a sigh of relief when I knew I was out of his sight and hurriedly made my way towards the bedroom.

What happened this morning had made me come to a conclusion. I could never love a Finlay. His uncle was right. Finlay's and Lockwood's could never go together.

At first a small part of me had still hoped that Kyle would find his way back to me one day but I couldn't do that anymore. I couldn't put hope in that because it hurt too much when everything would be left in ruin.

There was already too much at stake here for me to just give up. Kaleb, Bree, My dad, Rhett, everyone...

Kyle was protecting his family and I would be protecting mine.