F o r t y - T w o

Avery's POV:

"The bet?" Kyle's back went rigid as he stood up abruptly from his seat. Eyes wide, he questioned, "Avery, how do you know abo-"

"How do I know about the bet, huh?" I said cutting him off. Folding my hands against my stomach, I willed myself not to cry. This was going to happen one day. You cant just keep avoiding it forever. "Oh please, no need to act so innocent, Kyle. Brittany told me everything that day." I said with a snort while he just stared at me.

"What do you mea-" His voice was full of emotion as he pulled my hand into his but I angrily pushed it away.

"I mean that I know that that all of that shit was only a fucking bet to you." I said, shouting at him. "Us, having sex was nothing to you but a game. Just accept it and now you can stop whatever game you're playing because we aren-"

Kyle cut me off as he said. "Okay, Yeah. I admit that there was a bet. A long time ago. Before I even got to knew you. I was just a stupid kid at that time. But the thing is, I cancelled the bet before anything even happened between us. I even tried to tell it to you when you walked into my room that night. But let's not put the whole blame on me." He said as anger and hurt shown in his eyes and his jaw clenched. " You were the one who left without even a word. Do you have any idea how I must've felt when I woke up and found you gone after the night that I had confessed my feelings to you? You disappeared like fucking Houdini after that."

I tried to speak but it was like something got stuck in my throat. My mouth felt dry. "I was scared, Okay? I panicked when I heard you say that you were in love with me. I had seen my parents fight and cheat on each other my whole life. I thought that is how relationships and marriages are. I thought that is how love is and we would eventually end up just like my parents. I didn't want us to end up like that. But that's not it either. I came back. I came back for you after I met your mom and she told me-"

"Wait, you met my mom?" He said raising his eyebrows with a slight smile on his face.

"Well, I didn't really know that she was your mom at that time. So She talked to me and somehow changed my mind and told me to give everything a chance. But then I came back and you all were gone-" I said as my voice cracked and a tear rolled down my cheek.

Kyle put his hand on my waist and pulled me into his arms. His arms gently rubbed my back as I sniffed. "She was standing there with a phone in her hand. She then told me about the bet and showed me the video in which-" I said as a sob tore down my throat and Kyle pulled my body tighter against his, soothing my back.

Kyle pulled back a moment later and I looked up against him. His hand caressed my cheek as he gently wiped down my tears and said with voice full of pain. "But Baby, I didn't go back because I wanted to. I received a call from the hospital that my father was injured. That's why we left." He paused and said with a regretful sigh. "God, I never should have trusted her. She visited me a while later and told me that you were Lockwood's daughter and all this was actually both of your plan to hurt my father."

My eyes widened in shock. "But we never.... Is that why you were angry at me when we first met?" I asked connecting the story.

"Yeah." He slowly nodded and I sighed.

"I cant believe Brittany did that to the both of us." I said as I hugged his chest.

"Don't worry. I would never let her hurt my family again." My eyes widened as I looked up at him as he smiled and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

The next morning, I woke up and got ready for work. Today, Kyle was going to the office too. God, it felt weird to be actually living with a person who's actually my boss. The driver would be taking Bree and Kaleb to their schools.