Seventy Seven

Emma and Mrs. Summers were engaged in a short, awkward talk about the popular psychiatrist, but at approximately 7:30, things went sideways. Mr. Summers woke up, and Brianna was tempted to draw out the gun and shoot Emma dead on the spot.

"Listen, Emma," Beckie tried reasoning with the killer, "The fact that you unintentionally murdered your husband and son, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. People going through grief do better things like trying to make up for the mistakes they did in the past. But being a murderer is just going to make your life even worse. When I got separated from my mother, and had this dementia, I've been over the edge for a pretty long time. I've always wanted to put me out of my misery. But then, I realized that none of that mattered.

People don't always have to become what society wants them to be in the end."

Suddenly, Emma broke into a hysterical laughter. The way she howled left Austin, Timothy and Brianna into an absolute mystery. They wondered if Emma actually listened to herself for once. The laughing was so exaggerated it looked like she just might not stop. This annoyed Brianna to the core. The fact that anyone would feel no remorse and laugh after brutally killing a mother, father and son was just plain ludicrous. She hated this whole idea of sadism. Holding an innocent family captive to torture them and gloat while doing it.

Brianna noticed that this felt like a hobby to Emma Woodburn. Mrs. Summers could tell from her laughter that Emma would continue to do this to more families afterwards. One way or another, she needed to be stopped. Brianna slowly grabbed the handgun, and Timothy watched her fixatedly. Now's not the time Timothy muttered silently.

"You are truly a big liar, Beckie", Emma said, "People do lose their minds, but it's not always because society wants them to. It's not always because of one bad day, or having to undergo mental breakdown due to a tragic loss or some childhood abuse. Most people are just the way they are. They are born this way. We believe we can be more than just normal people. We like to explore the darker side. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but you do.

And that's why people never get to understand us."

"So, you're saying killing your son and your husband was not your breaking point?", Austin asked Emma, "You plotted it from the beginning. You waited for the day you'd finally get rid of them, and right after you did it, you pretended to have suffered a mental breakdown so during the trial everyone would believe you were insane. You wanted to be isolated from the world and be alone, and all those years you were planning on how to break free so you can continue this killing spree..."

"That's right", Emma agreed, "I'm going to kill a lot of people. Lots of people. Because it's who I am. There is no sanity. No. I don't have any of that in me. I'm not meant to be a sane person."

"So, are you really insane, Emma?" Brianna shot back, trying to bring the lunatic into a form of confusion, Or do you just like to pretend? Which one is it?"

Emma ignored her.

"You're all going to die tonight," she confirmed, "And you're right, this is just the beginning. After I get away, this is all going to be put in the media, and everyone will find out that I'm the one taking lives. And none of you will be missed while you're dead."

"You know what I think, Emma?", Brianna spat back, " You're not a good person. Neither are you evil. You're a victim of a mental disorder. The reality of it all is that you're in need of serious help. Your sickness has gotten worse to the extent that you can't stop fantasizing. The only way you're gonna wake up is if someone put you back where you truly belong."

Emma boiled with rage. She was sounding a lot like Cowen now. Her frown turned upside down, and that wasn't good for any of them.

"I'm going to cut your tongue out. Do you want that?", Emma hissed at her viciously, "Do you like me to cut your tongue out?"

"No. Please. She doesn't mean what she's saying," Mrs. Summers intervened. Brianna snarled at her mother. Saying no more words, Emma had other thoughts. She modelled to the window covered with the checkered curtains and chopped off pieces of it with the scissors. Brianna had to let go of the gun in order to keep it hidden from Emma's sight. Smiling and humming the Mockingtown lullaby, she blindfolded all four of them, then went towards Mr. Summers, who squealed in her presence.

She stripped him off the clothes by cutting them with the scissors, while gagging him with a piece of the curtain to prevent the echoes of his scream.

"What's happening?!", Mrs. Summers inquired when she heard her husband mumble, "Emma! Please whatever you're doing won't make you feel better. It can all end right now."

Enticed by her statement, Emma started slicing into Mr. Summers' face. Panic rose at the sound of his loud mumbling. Mrs. Summers lost all patience. She struggled to free her hands from the ropes, biting and even injuring herself to the point. She run her fingers on the table and felt the Semi-Automatic. Emma had already sliced off Mr. Summers' face and no one could tell.

She trotted to the oven and placed his face on the frying pan while humming to her delight. Then she went on cutting off pieces of his bare skin, from chest to legs. She joshed around with scissors, chuckling at the sound of his mumbling but it got even louder when she cut his penis off.

The massive pain made him writhe and churn so much, the table he was bound to lopsided. She cackled maniacally but Mrs. Summers managed to free herself from the bound and grab the shotgun, pointing it at Emma with distinctiveness.

"Larry! Larry, can you hear me?!", she called out, unable to see him on the floor, What did you do to him?!"

Emma walked straight towards her with a pretty awkward face as though she was asking to get shot at again. With all the hate and ruthless aggression, Mrs. Summers pulled the trigger only to realize it wasn't loaded.