Twenty Seven

Everything started to fall apart by approximately 10: 20

Everything started to fall apart by approximately 10: 20. Cowen uncontrollably looked left and right as he drove the BMW all the way back to his apartment in haste to wrap himself into Thembi's arms. He didn't want to tune in the radio of the 10 o' clock KN.News. He fought the urge, but his brain felt numb and ears were too anxious to hear. He tuned in and listened to the newscast talk about the just discovered Hamilton Elementary bus that had ran deep into a large forklift on a construction site.

The other voice speaking was the blind man warning him not to ignore the message received on the other end of the line. His words were so spiritual. Unlike the human voices of Thembi's, Betsy's, his daughters (whom either way hasn't been heard for a while), Detective Towers' or anyone else that stepped foot in his life. He remembered what hearing his mother's and father's voices were like in the 90's. Not even the creepy voices of Lazarus Five could be compared with the powerful message the blind man gave him. Not even Emma Woodburn, the woman he was beginning to think he might have fallen in love with.

When he got home, he found out Thembi had left for the book club she had with her old college friends then found his brown leather journal in his lower wardrobe of the bedroom. Scanned it feverishly and read over the words of the last written page which were the question of the day everyone asked, "What makes you sane, Emma Woodburn?" He grabbed the pen from his back pocket and hurriedly scribbled down the words;

The blind man called me and said he saw the Devil. And the Devil wore a WHITE dress. He told me to warn the others, that when the Devil in a WHITE dress comes knocking at their door, or when they see her approach, they mustn't be deceived but run instead. He also told me I was the only one who could stop her. That's why he knew my name from the start. But who is the Devil in a WHITE dress? Is she some mythical demon worshipped by a cult, a fragment of the imagination or a real-life person? How dangerous is she that she makes blind men see her for what's inside?

Cowen didn't have the feeling that this man hallucinated. His words were genuine but at no point made any clear sense. He called Thembi later on, and decided that she cancel book club for the evening so they'd go to the Opera for a change of heart. He couldn't yet drain the curiosity of knowing what happened to the numerous kids who were in the crashed bus, driven by that idiot of a retard Kenny Louise.

Detective Towers was stuck in a trance by then. Just one innocent outdoor birthday party for the young Madison Ivy turned to a cemetery of dead children, a dead old lady Everton and her wife, a kind-hearted woman who cared and loved all the children in the world. Yet she had been completely sterile and been a burden to poor ol' lady Everton. The paramedics looked at the dead faces of these wonderful children, most between nine and ten, and covered them with the WHITE sheets, feeling all dreadful and sympathetic. And yet Towers didn't give much thought to ask himself, why not just retire from all of this?

Parents of their deceased kids wreaked havoc on the park because Hell brook lose. Few left the park, probably plotting to commit suicide. Others sobbed, wept, moaned, screamed and did everything they could to bring their sons and daughters back from the dead. Reality was a sick, twisted evil maniac that preyed on its victims. And reality was the fiend in the WHITE dress no one could notice.