Fifty Six

"It certainly feels like Lake George is a thousand mile away," Kitty sighed from exhaustion of the ride.

"Same here", Mrs. Summers replied with arms folded. Both mothers were sighing their inner feelings out as a way of saying Maybe we'll all die of old age sooner than we'd expected. They had their backs rested against the wall, while Kitty reached out for another cigar and made Mrs. Summers have the urge to plead for a smoke.

As her eyes observed carefully, she noticed what seemed to be five or six guys concealed in black leather jackets, a red bandana, dark shades and scruffy goatee that put the spirit of intimidation in anyone who dared to look. She could say that one way or another, their vacation was definitely about to be jeopardized. Her heart skipped two beats already.

The thought of Kitty not being intimidated by the sight of the brutish Biker gang joshing around while they stopped for gas made her shiver. Feeling unsafe as ever, Mrs. Summers stretched her neck to check if Austin, Brianna and Timothy were well secured by her two-timing husband but then Kitty took notice and responded.

"You're not scared of a bunch of hippies, are you?", Kitty voiced out in a frolicsome manner, "They won't hurt us. Stop worrying and have a smoke."

"Are you serious, Kitty?", Mrs. Summers shot back, feeling more disturbed, "This is what happens to normal people spending their holidays out of town and minding their own business. Most of them are uncanny, hillbilly racist fucks who love to give out that dirty supremist bullshit around people like me."

"No one's racist here," Kitty smiled as she rubbed her silk palms over Mrs. Summers' hands. She placed a cigar in her mouth and ignited it with her lighter, "They could be friendly. Who knows?"

"They're not," Mrs. Summers stubbornly reassured her. Though the memory was left shattered to pieces for a very long time, she saw pieces of it and recaptured it very slowly. She tried to rewind to the fragments of the day where on her sixteenth birthday, she and her boyfriend, a convicted felon, wondered around the wrong territory after seeing Scream (still her favorite movie so far).

Teenage Mrs. Summers, afro-hair and in strapless red dress and at an exact similar time like this, marched right in to fetch ice-cream for her and her boy when from nowhere, the biker gang assaulted them both all because of color. And yet, there were the Biker Gang. Who would love a drunken biker gallivanting right where your family were?

"Just ignore them and stare at the cute guy behind the counter", Kitty quickly suggested, as she and Mrs. Summers paused for a moment to glare at the red-haired dude in his late twenties, munching on the gum in his mouth and rolling his eyes at them from head to toe while the golf ball match was showing. His handsome devilish looks completely aroused Mrs. Summers.

"I keep on having this funny feeling in my gut, though," she said, "that something's definitely going to go awfully wrong."

"Tell me about it," Kitty confessed idly, her eyes still fixated on the handsome kid behind the counter.

"You too?"

"It's pretty darn obvious ain't it, sweetheart? Your husband, or should I say, my two-timing brother, will obviously bring up something. Austin, Brianna and Timothy are surely going to start fighting, Toby's gonna runaway and my husband's going to do his thing. This is our oddball family life. Expect the worst."

The way Kitty said it sounded so stereotype, pompous and a lot like I live with a shitty family of weirdos who can never agree on anything and I'll try to be proud of it as long as I live. Mrs. Summers saw it in her expressions.

"Sure. It's that, alright," Mrs. Summers replied, "but it's not that. Frankly speaking, I really can't explain this kind of feeling, you know. It's the type of anxiety you get when you believe that this is going to be a happy, peaceful day being together and then hours later, shit happens. I know stuff like that happens only in the movies, but it's real."