Twenty

"Nine-one-one, what's your emergency?"

"Ugh, we'd like to report a break-in..", says the home of the Louise family.

Home invasions. In the era of our ancestors, you would either end up dead or get robbed in the night during a classic home invasion. In this New Age, people don't even notice when they encounter armed robbers, sex traffickers, cartel drug dealers or psycho killers in the neighborhood. First, they introduce themselves to you as the friendly neighbor from next door with the innocent smiley face, get you to invite them into your apartment, then do a quick twenty minutes search like where you keep the cash and stuff. Some just steal your spare key to the house. Then when you're asleep, they conceal themselves in hoods before they infiltrate your home and rob you blind. Well, not unless it's Purge Night where a group of masked strangers, armed to the teeth, keep banging at your front door asking for their escaped captive who unknowingly found his way in your basement.

But that's just a movie. There was no Annual Purge Night where people killed people for a whole hour. Unlike every family, couple, gay couple, lesbian couple or single in the neighborhood, the Louise family were just that dumb enough not to install special CCTV cameras or security locks at the front and back doors. Jenny was too much of an introvert, sticking her eyes to the laptop screen and typing words of disdain about the bitch called Kimberly. Kenny dozed off, woke up, gulped down bottles of beer and ate burgers, then dozed off again only until the conclusion of all the seasons of Netflix shows did he wake up. He would hear noises from outside but the amount of weight he was packing would not allow him to go see. If you ever doubt, ask the little students at the Elementary Jenny teaches in when they feel like the whole bus is sinking anytime Kenny sits down in the driver's seat.

Martin Louise, their beloved eighteen-year-old boy, who apparently turned nineteen this recent year and was both Austin and Brianna's senior, rarely stayed at home ever since the backlash of his public affair with Kimberly broke out. He had felt like a celebrity all of a sudden.

"You're the kid from the news...", they say when he enters the liquor store.

"When you fucked Kimberly, did you guys ever use protection?", his buddies, whom he would do all sorts of drugs with, asked him.

"How was it like?", they asked him again.

"How did you guys break up?", girls would ask him.

"How's it like doing a milf? Please tell me," his other buddy would ask him.

And this would go on forever and ever. He'd just saved a girl who was suffering the same thing. The feeling that you get when you know you're about to be raped, kidnapped or sexually assaulted. In truth, Martin was just a single fifteen-year-old by the time the news reporter set her eyes on him. He was scrawny. Bullies bullied him. Girls shunned him. Called him a weirdo. He did drugs. Snorted and smuggled cocaine just to impress the other boys in their gang hideout. The boys he now calls his buddies after the news of his affair broke out. It started with online dating site "Hookin' Up". Kimberly got the chance to introduce herself as "The Girl Next Door56" while Martin hooked up with her as "Big Dick45". Martin told her everything like she was some internet therapist.