Eleven

"What makes you sane, Emma Woodburn?"

Five miles away from the NYC cinema that was premiering "Bad Boys for Life", a movie that hadn't even yet been celebrated at Comic-Con at the time, that voice could be heard from the windows of his apartment.

The Post Office, being sixteen blocks away, was a reminder for the young stud who would normally go through a lot of breathing, panting, and heavy exhales before he got a single letter to his mailbox of the house belonging to one of the most interesting psychiatrists in the city, Dr. Matt Cowen himself. The only less suspicious house in the neighborhood that anyone would notice belonged to a serial killer.

And the only house that had idiotic teenagers hurl toilet paper around it every cursed Halloween night. Back in those good ol' days of pain and misery, Dr. Cowen would rattle out all his anger at his twenty-two-year-old daughter then blast his shotgun at those teenagers. Everything was stable for him until the case of the Woodburn family murder encountered him. The only patient he actually couldn't figure out was Emma Woodburn.

He recalled all the other patients in those dreadful memories he couldn't get rid of. And it all happened during the 80's, one of which were Lazarus Dubois,-or as they called him "Lazarus Five", a family man, husband and footballer whom all five of his personalities each had different techniques on the field, but different attitudes. Cowen remembered that fateful night he had to stand there and talk one of his alters from harming Lazarus' wife with a simmering frying pan. It was a really dark and dreadful night.

Standing there and watching the twisted eyes of numerous men all in one body lose control of their emotions. The ticking of the wristwatch, which was the one Lazarus kept as a ten-year old, and the drip-drop of the tiny water droplets from the sink were the only way for Lazarus to channel all five of his personalities. These memories manifested in his dreams as well.

He remembered one dark and dreadful night of sleeping in a bed beside Lazarus who would yell the words, "Lazarus dribbles. Lazarus tackles. Lazarus makes the pass. Lazarus shoots. Lazarus scooooreess!" He woke up and beside his bed, was his wife peacefully in slumber. That only made him to remember one thing-flush the stupid sleeping pills in the toilet the next morning. Another patient was Quill Torres, a ten-year old nerd whom they called "Night Vision".

Sleepwalking had been a thing in the 80's but not when you stood beside your parents' bed in the dark and masturbate. Cowen remembered how much that inspired him to write "How to battle Night Terrors", a book dedicated to Quill. It not only talked about different ways to stay sane during the night but it totally went against the use of sleeping pills. But the disorder was hereditary after all. Quill's mother, Queenie Torres was overly distressed with him being nicknamed "Night Vision", she believed her vision was not pure enough.

She believed all that was needed were new eyes so she wouldn't let her son feel different anymore. Queenie, a diener at the morgue, began carving eyes of the deceased and stacking them in her collectibles. When she went to the jewelry store and asked if she could afford new eyes, the clerk insisted she afford psychotherapy and this only ended up with a raging Queenie carving the man's eyeballs and adding to her collectibles.

Queenie was arrested before she could carve her own eyes out with a scalpel and screw the clerk's own into her sockets in the same room her husband was forced to watch. When she was sent to Baltimore, she was given the nickname "Eyesore", as she was earlier mentioned still being in the asylum. Another one of his patients, this time during the 1990's, was a girlish and disturbed Asian-American kid who believed he had the ability to be invisible.

He could rob a jewelry store and walk out because in his world, he was "invisible". He could shoplift and walk free, because in that head of his, he believed he was invisible. He could rub his hand on another boy's crotch and not get punched in the nose because in his mind, he was invisible. At the age of fourteen, when the "power of invisibility" got too violent, he was sent to Transverse State Hospital where he earned a female nickname. When maturity found him, he willingly committed himself to Baltimore.

Speaking of heroes, just after Dr. Cowen rid New York of the invisible villain, young Minna Hopkins was another patient who had to read too many Spider-Man comic books. After getting bitten by a black widow and hospitalized on her eight birthdays, believed she had suddenly transformed into a mutant with eight legs and could climb and scale buildings.

Cowen handled her schizophrenia perfectly, but couldn't stop her decision to use her "gifts" to climb into people's houses and steal personal belongings, cash, heirlooms and babies. At sixteen, she climbed into the houses of two different couples, kidnapped their babies and threatened to drop them off from the rooftop when she couldn't take anymore shit from the world.

Restraining orders were enough to put her in Baltimore, and there, she earned the nickname "Spider-Woman". Then there was Irwin Shaw, a patient who'd never stop rumbling about the End Times in 1997. When his disorder caused harm to himself and other, he was sent to Baltimore and earned his rightful nickname "Pope Apocalypto".

Cowen left all these nut cases on his desk until he found the one patient, they called Emma Woodburn. 2008, she was a beautiful, loving housewife who just had an obsession with the color WHITE.

Her son Willie Woodburn was a normal kid with a passion for basketball and trick-or-treating with his best friends. Her husband, Peter Woodburn, was a handsome stand-up comedian whom all of Emma's friends were dying to have. He was the man Emma was so lucky to wake up next to in bed on a sunny Morning.

All this ended when Emma suddenly transformed into a cannibalistic killer, mutilated Pete and Willie, burnt down the house and killed the concerned neighbor, who happened to be Det. Towers' mother. And that was it. The case remained unsolved till then.