Forty One-Dance With the Devil

DANCE WITH THE DEVIL

An hour later, Emma seemed to recover from the self-inflicted wound from the orchestrated car accident earlier and it was only approximately 4:30 when Todd and Jake were talking to each other about how the hell a so-called "amnesiac", jacked-up woman in WHITE dress would just end up on their couch like a normal guest.

Pieces of this whole puzzle needed to be sorted out before they could be fixed in the appropriate places. Jake, Todd, Carl and Elsa needed to know who they were dealing with. All questions were based on the implication of whether this stranger had suffered under the hands of their Biker gang pursuers and sent here as one simple message. But the stranger seemed to be just that awkward. On normal circumstances, any person who had been jacked up or been delivered a severe beaten would visibly show it by their reactions.

The reaction to which Emma gave when she claimed to be amnesiac was unapparent. Elsa and Todd paid Emma their attention. Trying to learn more of the history of their guest and unravel the secret of her facial wounds. No matter how both of them played detective, neither four of the college goers could tell either head nor tail of Emma. A moment later, they gave up and it looked like Emma's disguise played them.

Instead of focusing on getting the pieces of the puzzles fixed, the Devil in WHITE flouted their thoughts with more garbage. Emma, like the mother she once was, handled the four like her own teenage children. Making obscene jokes about their relationships, to which the young adults found funny. She played it well indeed. Acting like any normal amnesiac. Sitting down on the couch as though she was back home and idly scanned through the channels of their TV. Like she was searching for answers.

On a more realistic note, Emma hadn't forgotten the one question her former fellow inmate and non-binary gender Bridget or Dr. Cowen asked.

What makes you sane, Emma Woodburn?

Her mind still focused; Emma recalled the main reason she allowed Bridget to help her escape that night. The search for sanity. She needed answers to the death of her family. Though it didn't sound too much, the reality is that she spent eleven years in the depressing and suicidal institute full of delusional and rejected human beings. She fought, cannibalized and cursed but Emma couldn't understand why she had to kill Peter and Willie.

When Emma paused at the KN. News channel, she smiled distortedly at Kimberly. Fucking bitch, Emma muttered to herself, I'm definitely going to kill you. That promise is real for sure. But would killing Kimberly bring back the sanity? It would never stop her hatred for humanity and neither would it undo Peter and Willie's deaths.

Emma observed carefully as Todd and Carl sat at their table to play chess and make it seem they forgot a killer was in their home. She observed Elsa, scanning through books in her personal drawer and keeping a very fixated eye on her movements, then observed Jake, facing the window and smoking his anxieties away. The psychopath knew he was looking out for any sign of Biker gang member lurking around.

The atmosphere became uncomfortably quiet. Elsa was forced to break the silence.

"Have I seen you somewhere before?"

Emma turned to look at the kid with monstrous eyes then smiled maniacally. "No", was her reply. Clear and straight.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," Elsa apologized feverishly, " I might be mistaking you for a doppelganger, you know?" She stopped smiling, but it was purposefully done just to test the next reaction the psychopath gave. Throughout the recent hour, Elsa observed Emma's gestures and realized that this woman was apparently sick in the head. She smiled by each second and it was a very menacing one too. The kid was getting suspicious, Emma could tell as she used those cold, soulless eyes of hers to stare deep into Elsa's. Emma was beginning to lose her patience and get increasingly irritated by this twenty-three year old but Cowen and Bridget taught her everything she needed to know in soothing the urge to hurt or attack.