The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

I put my hand to my stomach, where Cal's mark was throbbing painfully. It had started when he had stormed out of the house.

It wasn't like I didn't deserve it. I should have told them that they were all in trouble, but I didn't want them to go wading in. They didn't know Dante's pack like I did. I knew that if they found out I had told dad, that there would be no survivors. But no matter how I tried to make it sound better in my head, it still felt like the ultimate betrayal. Although I had been trying to save them from tackling a problem they knew nothing about, I knew I had betrayed their trust and I knew, as well as anybody, that there was no repairing that trust.

I flung open the wardrobe doors and began to pull the clothes off of the hangers. There was a knock on my door. I didn't want to answer it; I had just wanted to slip away without a massive fall out.

"Yeah?" I said, fear saturating my voice. The door opened and Cal appeared. His face was blank but his eyes were still angry. I knew that he hadn't come for a reconciliation. He came in and closed the door behind him. He looked at the rucksack on my bed.

"Doing a bunk?" he asked. "When the going gets tough, Annie gets going?" I just stared at him; I deserved every cruel comment that came my way. He would never forgive me. He was never going to talk to me properly again.

"Your dad's waiting for us in his study," he told me. "All of us, including you." I nodded. There was no way I could get away now; Cal was going to make sure of it. I hated the way he was looking at me, like he would like nothing more than for me to fall from a high storey building and not get up afterwards.

I took a step towards the door.

"Wait," Cal said, his icy tone cutting right through me. He put out his arm to stop me from leaving.

"What?" I asked curiously. If he was about to tell me how much he hated me right now, he was a bit too late; inside, I was falling apart.

"I wasn't exactly truthful either last night," he said. He looked in the mirror that hung over my desk. "My parents didn't die in a car crash."

So? I didn't care. It sounded pretty bad but he thought that now was the best time to tell me how his parents died? I was practically facing a firing squad.

"Okay."

Cal looked at me and I felt bubble of fear appear in my stomach. I had seen how volatile he could be and I wasn't prepared for all of that anger to be directed at me again.

"How did they die?" I asked, trying to sound like I actually gave a flying fuck. Cal sat down on my bed, his eyes zoning in on the carpet.

"My mum's in Australia," he said. "And my dad...we killed him."

I stared at him. Had I heard him right? Had he just said that he killed his dad? The breath caught in my chest.

"Why?" I asked. Okay, so maybe it wasn't the best question to be asking someone who had just admitted to murder but I couldn't think of anything else to say, other that running for the hills. And besides; I had no right to berate him for keeping secrets.

"He was a bastard," Cal murmured, still not looking at me. "He hit my mum and scared her senseless. He thought that just because he was a wolf, he had that right.

"So, one full moon, me and Macca...we killed him."

"Just like that?" I asked.

"Just like that." Cal nodded.

Oh dear God. I wanted to collapse onto my bed but I was a bit wary about the fact that there was a murderer already on it. Instead, I sat down on the chair next to my desk. I was having trouble breathing.