18. grunge.

K O A

K O A

I quietly hurry myself up the stairs, I push open my door, Princeton is laying on my bed staring at his phone and Knox is chatting with someone on his, once he sees me he hangs up the phone, rushing over to me. "Have you seen Opal since schools been out?"

"Yes."

"Do you know where she is now?" He questions.

I shrug my shoulders, "Well it's late, so I think she would be home."

"Her parents called, they said they can't find her, she won't answer her phone, it goes straight to voicemail. The police have reported her as missing."

"Wait what!?"

"When did you see her last?"

"Um, seven or eight hours ago... I'm so stupid!"

"Huh?" Princeton sits up, "Why?"

"I.. left her alone in downtown Maplesgrove." I rub my forehead, my stomach feels queasy.

"Oh man, you are stupid." Princeton blurts out. "Why the hell did you leave her alone? At night, in downtown?"

"Because I'm an ass. A stupid, no good, fucking asshole." I pull on my hair, pacing around my room. "They haven't heard from her at all?"

Knox shakes his head, "Afraid not."

"What happened that made you leave her alone?"

"I... she.. we-"

"Spit it out!" Knox demands.

"She told me she loved me."

Their mouths drop. "And that made you get angry and leave?"

"Yes." I lie. "I panicked I didn't know what to say." I left her alone, with creepos and perverts lurking around every corner. The only reason I said all those harsh things was because I panicked, and I realized that one of these days I will end up dead, it's best if she gets over me now. "I said terrible things to her." I sit on the edge of my bed, holding my head in my palms, tugging on the end of my hair. "Oh god."

Knox sits in between Princeton and I, "What kind of hurtful things?"

"Like..." I cringe, "drop dead."

Knox smacks me on the back of the head. "Holy shit."

"If she ends up dead it's my fault."