22. where the bad things are.

O P A L

O P A L

"Crystal, I'm sure Opal has better things to do than hang with us." Koa explains, talking with his hands. If I remember correctly, every time Koa used his hands when he talked, that meant he was nervous and uneasy.

"Don't be silly babe." She bats at his knee, "I want to hangout with her. Unless you got a problem with it?" She questions, crossing her arms over her fishnet top.

He stares at her dead silent, not making even a peep. Rolling his eyes he gives her a shrug for an answer. "Then it's settled, Opal is coming with us."

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Because it's a bad idea. I mentally pinch myself for doing this. These are not the people I should be hanging out with, but maybe I could be a light in their life, or a hurricane amongst the storm.

"So," I force a smile as I follow them to their car. "Where are we going?"

Crystal and Koa sling their arms over each other, "To our place."

"Our place?"

"Yeah, Shane, Pete, Williams and I's place. It's a frat house." She explains, sitting in between Koa and I.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty four."

Does she know she's dating a minor? Who am I kidding, Koas not one to follow the rules, it's not like either of them is going to get in trouble anyways. "Oh, cool." I nod awkwardly, turning my attention to the road, making sure I know the road signs incase I leave on my own.

She lays her legs on Koas lap, wrapping her arms around his neck, proceeding to French. I squish myself against the car door, I don't want to be near this, it's definitely not a pleasant sight to see and oh dear goodness to gracious the sounds are disturbing. I didn't come along to watch the two of them make babies beside me. But what was I expecting?

She chews on the gum that was previously in Koas mouth, popping a yellow bubble. "How about you?"

"Seventeen."

"Rock on. I had a blast at that age." She leans towards me, nudging me in the arm. "The boys were fun." She winks.

"Oh, hah." I laugh awkwardly, rubbing my arm.

We arrive outside a two story house, litter scattered across the dead grass. People chugging down beer, some people practically having sex in corners of the house. As I gulp it burns my throat, this is most definitely not my scene. Totally dreading this.