17. heavy rain.

Let You Down^

K O A

"You what?!" My eyes widen at what Opal just told me, my cheeks burn as her red teary eyes stare back at me, silently waiting.

"I..." She rubs her arm, her eyes fall to stare at the ground beneath her, mascara dripping down her flushed cheeks. "I um.." Her eyes frantically sweep our surroundings. She looks tiny in her bashful state, her red hair tangled due to the chilly wind blowing around us, making her shiver, hugging her own body, trying to find any sign of warmth that her body has to offer.

She chews on her lower lip, covering her face with her hands and inhaling the cold air that surrounds us, lifting her head her eyes narrow to look at me. "I love you, Koa."

O P A L

Koas' blue eyes blink repeatedly, unsure of what he should say, his mouth gaping at sudden surprise. He raises his hand shakily, rubbing the back of his neck. He pulls on the collar of his hoodie, trying to let the cool air in. He closes his mouth and rubs his face, staying silent.

"I'm sorry. I.. shouldn't have said anything." I rub my puffy eyes, "Koa, I don't want you to die. You mean more to me than you'll ever know. It hurts, it really hurts me to know that you are in such pain and want to die. I'm so so sorry that you have to go through all this, I would never wish this on anyone. It's so... nauseating. Your dad is a ruthless, awful man. He should be in prison. My heart aches for you. I can't say I understand what you're going through, because I don't. But I can relate to you on other aspects. Like Mark."

My head throbs at the thought of Mark, thinking about him, makes my skin crawl, it feels like he's touching me, my skin burns. "Not that thats nearly as close to what your going through, I'm not comparing what happened to your situation, but I guess.. I know what it's like to feel vulnerable and invaded."

I wipe the tear from my cheek that managed to escape. "Please Koa, I can't imagine a world without you. You have so much hope, there is light on the other end of the tunnel. You may not be able to see it now, but if you keep running you will one day be able to see just how bright that light is."

I shake my head at the thought of Koa not being here. "I can confidently say that my heart would be broke without you. If you can't live for yourself, then live for Knox and Princeton, their dam would break without you too. I know what heartache feels like. I cried for a long time when you left me, I thought you hated me, I thought I did something wrong."

His gaze is empty, like he's not there, like everything I'm saying is going out the other ear. " I will fight for you Koa, I'm not going to be leaving so easily."