24. good things fall apart.

O P A L

O P A L

I gasp for air, immediately sitting up, trying to catch my breath as my heart thumps against my chest. I stare down at my hands, blood permanently staining them; always there to remind that I took the life of another.

Rushing to the bathroom, I scrub them to the point they bruise. The walls and ceiling feel like they're caving in, to crush me for the things I've done. I grab my warmest cardigan, slipping it on before heading onto the front porch, sitting on a step. Closing my eyes I inhale the frosty air that encompasses me. I lean against the wooden railing for a moment before standing back up.

Grabbing a blanket off the couch I wrap it around me, finding comfort in the fuzzy warmth. I try to get cozy in the couch and close my eyes, hoping to get some sleep.

K O A

My hand trembles as I reach for the door knob, opening the front door to my house. I haven't been home in a few weeks; Crystal offered me her place and I jumped on the opportunity to escape. My heart  is quick to thump against my chest as I take my first step back into the house.

My throat burns as I gulp. Before planting my foot on the first step, I notice my mom laying on the couch with a blanket slipping onto the wooded floor. I wander over to her, readjusting the blanket around her. Her hazel eyes open, staring back at me.

"Koa." She murmurs. She rushes to stand on her feet, encasing me in a warm embrace. She grabs my face, bring me down for her to kiss my cheek. "My sweet boy. Where have you been?"

"Staying with a friend."

"Your father is in his office." She whispers. She brushes her dark hair behind her ear. Her petite body shaking.

I grab her hands, "Why don't you just leave him?"

"Honey. It's not that easy. He's a very powerful man. He would come after us, you know that." She shakes her head, scooping up the blanket, wrapping it back around her body. "I've tried it once, you remember the story don't you?"

My body aches, "Yes." I stare at her scar covered hand.

I hear my fathers foot steps approach us, "Koa?"

Mom steps in front of me, "Darling, what are you still doing up? It's three in the morning."

"I was having a business meeting. Koa."

I turn around to face him, "Yes?"

"Where have you been? You haven't been home in weeks, making us worry."