45. sweet to the soul.

K O A

K O A

Polli instantly flips the game board. "IN YOUR FACE SUCKA!" She claps her hands, doing a little victory dance.

I grin as she wiggles her whole body around like a psychopath. "I guess you were right."

"I always am." She flips her faded red hair over her shoulder.

Randy cackles as Polli continues to do her strange dance. "She always wins at that game; she'll rub it in your face for days, that's why nobody plays it with her."

Leelan blows on his coffee as he enters the room. "Well you've obviously never played against the real champ." He wiggles his eyebrows as his younger sister sticks her tongue out at him.

Randy chuckles, "I don't know man, Polli's already unbeatable."

"You tell em Randy." Polli points.

Opal wanders into the room with a sweet smile on her face. "Mom and dad said they need everybody in the barn." Everybody hops up and heads out to the barn. Opal intwines our fingers together, "Hello handsome."

"Hey beautiful."

She stands on her tiptoes, connecting her lips with mine. She squeezes my hand, leading the way. Once we arrive inside the barn everybody yells "SURPRISE!"

"Holy Fu-" I bite my tongue.

"Happy birthday Koa!" Opal giggles.

Dutch and Olive wrap their arms around me. "Happy birthday Koa! We are so grateful that your apart of the family."

Knox grabs my neck, giving me a knuckle sandwich. "Happy birthday Bub, can't believe your eighteen already. Another year older and your still a wise-ass."

"Wow, this was really unexpected. Thank you guys, you didn't have to do this."

Olive bats her hand in front of her. "Nonsense Koa, you deserve it."

Opals smile widens, "Did I actually surprise you?"

"Yeah, I wasn't expecting this."

Gripping my hand she drags me to the food table. "Look!" She points to a well decorated Angel food cake. "Dad and I made it together." She beams, proud of the work they did together.

"It looks great Opal!"

I swirl around on my heels at the poke on my shoulder. "Happy birthday Koa." Princeton smiles wide, standing the same height as me. "Here." He hands me a small box with my name written on it.