7. white roses.

K O A

K O A

One of the maids locks her eyes on me as she wipes down the marble countertop. "Your father is in his office." She whispers, "Get out while you still can."

I exchange a thankful nod, grabbing an apple out of the bowl, hurrying over to the front doors. I hear his slick shoes tap against the black marble floor behind me. "Not so fast Koa."

He places both his hands on my shoulders, my back stiffens at his touch, he pushes his thumbs into my neck, massaging my back. "I'm going to be late." I murmur.

A chuckle escapes his lips, making goosebumps form on my skin. "You'll get there on time, even if they have to wait, I am paying for the trip after all."

My mom pokes her head around the corner, her dark  hazel eyes holding back tears. "Henry, maybe let Koa get there on time." She suggests, taking small steps towards my father.

My tongue dries up as my father moves his hand, my heart hardens like a stone in my chest, my body feels numb, like I'm unable to move. He grasps the apple from my hand, biting into it. "Don't be stupid Nina. There's no problem with the other kids waiting." His thumb grazes my cheek, running it over my bottom lip.

"Henry!" Knox shouts from behind my mom. His arms crossed and his blue eyes stone cold.

Knox wraps his hand around my fathers wrist, prying his hands off of me. "If you want to live another day, then don't touch my brother!" He seethes, giving him a threatening glare.

Henry gulps, taking a step back. Knox shoves me out the front door, slamming it behind him. He drags me toward his car, gripping his hands to the ends of his dusky hair. His face falls once he sees the tears ooze down my cheeks. He wraps his arms around me, pushing my head into his shoulder. "It's okay bub, I've gotch you."

-

O P A L

Iris giggles, playfully hitting Briars arm in the seat in front of me. I glance out the bus window, still no sign of Koa and the buses leave in five minutes. I lay my head against the glass window, chipping my freshly painted yellow nails. I pull three bags of sunflower seeds from my bag on the ground by my feet. I lean on the seat in front of me, reaching over and handing Briar and Iris both a bag. "I made trail mix!"

"Oo my favorite!" Iris chirps, pulling out the pieces of dried yogurt and scarfing it down. "This gal really knows how to make the best food."

"You'll have to cook for me sometime." Briar winks.

I grin, "I can teach you. Everything I know my dad taught me, he's the chef in the family."