39. you were a forest fire.

O P A L

O P A L

I rub my fingers against the pages of my book. There's nothing like the feel, or smell of a new book. Leaning down I fix the wrinkle out of the hem of my dress. Polli watches me as I continue to fix it. "No Koa today, huh?"

Shaking my head I brush my hair behind my ear. "Not today."

She grips the book that lays in between my hands, pulling it away from me. "You seem distracted."

Swaying my head side to side I exchange a slight smile. "Nope. I just want to get the rest of my school work done before school gets out."

"Yeah, I probably should be doing work. But it's boring." She chuckles, tapping away at her phone.

Randy scoops his daffodil hair into a bun before plopping down in between Polli and I. "Hey!" He exclaims. "You got your cast off!" He motions to my leg.

"I did! I got it off this morning."

Peeping at Pollis' phone he grins. "Is it hard to walk?"

"Kinda."

Lucy Ching dashes out of the building, squealing so loud the whole school could hear her. She runs up to Mark Geiger. They lock arms around each other, kissing one another in the process, not caring who watches them.

The last I heard was Mark was still in a coma. I had no clue he was awake or even released from the hospital for that matter. My stomach aches and my skin crawls at the sight of Mark. I feel like I'm going to be sick, or pass out maybe. Nobody but Koa knows what Mark did.

The world around me spins. Pushing myself up my legs wobble. I balance myself by holding onto the bleachers. Randy stands up, gripping my arms. "Opal, are you okay?"

"Yea-yeah." I nod. "I... I just remembered something. That I uh.. have to do."

"Opal you look pale." Polli points out.

I shake my head, "When is Marci going to be here?" I ask, checking the time on my phone.

"Um." She chews on her fingernails as her and Randy exchange a look.

Randy reaches for my hand, gently squeezing it. "What's wrong?" He coos softly.

"Noth-ing. Why?"

Polli crosses her arms, picking herself off the bench. "You seem panicked. What's going on Opal?"

Lucy wraps her arm beneath Marks armpit as he walks with a single forearm crutch. His eyes lock with mine. My heart feels like it skips a beat. The corner of his lips twist into the slightest smirk before prying his eyes from mine. I feel someone grip my shoulder and swirl me around to face them.