31. lifeline.

O P A L

O P A L

A very intimidating smile plays at his lips, making me feel small. "Okay. Um, I'll be back in a few minutes Mr.Whiley." He nods his head and waves me off as I close and lock the door before heading up the stairs.

I hurry over to my night stand and grab my fully charged phone, dialing Koa's number. Waiting and begging for him to answer, but it just goes straight to voicemail. "Come on phone!" I grumble under my breath.

I shoot him a text and eagerly wait for a reply but nothings quick enough. He's waiting and I don't want to risk my family getting hurt. Or Koa for that matter. It's beyond stupid if I go. But if Koa's hurt I need to be there for him, don't I?

My parents know where I'm going, I'll send them the address and time that I'll be home along with Koa's phone number if anything happens. I chew on my lip to the point it bleeds. I quickly change into the dress that Henry said Koa bought me. I put on some dangly earrings, eye makeup and some red lipstick to cover up the blood stains on my lip. I lightly pat some foundation on all the hickeys that Koa decided to mark me with.

Taking a deep breath I grab my crutches and carefully make my way down the stairs. "Marci, Polli. I'm having dinner with Koa at his parents house. I'll text you both the address. But I'll be back at nine o'clock. Okay?" I'm doing the right thing, aren't I?

"Oooh look at this sexy beast!" Marci hollers.

"Looking fiiine Opal!" Polli exclaims, checking me out.

I grin, "Thanks. But, I'll be back at nine, okay?"

"Okay Opal. We'll be keeping an eye out. Don't get caught up with that hunk of a boy you have." Marci informs me. "Have fun!"

"I'll try not to. See you girls in a few hours."

"See ya Opal, you look STUNNING! Koa's one lucky guy. Have fun. We'll be waiting for you." She smiles at me.

I close my eyes and huff before pulling the door open. "Okay, I think I'm ready. Koa really did want me to come over for dinner?"

"You look beautiful. Yes, he does." He helps me down the steps and into his luxurious car.

He presses the start button and pulls out of our lot, zooming down the road. "How are Knox and Princeton?"

"Very good. Princeton has straight A's and Knox is continuing college online."

I scoot myself as close to the door as possible snuggling into my jacket a little more. "Good for them. Their both very smart."