4. little blue pills.

K O A

K O A

I slam Kenneth Jackson into the lockers, his hand barreling towards me, I grab his fist, twisting his arm backwards and jamming his head against the locker door. I wipe the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand.

He chuckles, wiping his blood dripping mouth. "Your brother is a worthless piece of shit, just like you."

I jab my hand against his nose, hearing the bone snap. Blood oozes down his face, his hands shoot up to cover his nose, groaning in pain. "You broke my nose!"

"You deserve a lot more than a broken nose." I growl.

He pushes himself up, failing to punch me back. I jab my bloodied and bruised fist into his face, knocking him out cold. I push past the crowd of kids that formed around us. I scurry out of the school and to the empty football field.

"Hi Koa!" Opal Clemens walks up to me, with a bright smile planted on her lips. "How are you doing? How's your side?"

I pull my pack of cigarettes out, lighting one.

"Those are really bad for you."

I roll my eyes at her, "Does it look like I care?"

"No," she shakes her head side to side, "Not really." She fiddles with her fingers, "Does your side hurt?"

"Well it doesn't feel great."

Her green eyes flick up, staring into mine. "I'm sorry that happened. People can be the worst sometimes, they ruin things for us."

She lays her hand on my forearm, making my back tense up. I grab her wrist, squeezing it to the point it turns white, causing her to wince in pain. I drop her hand like it burnt me. I didn't mean to hurt her. "Fuck off Opal."

She picks up her book that dropped on the grass. She plasters a genuine smile on her face, "I hope you have a good day Koa."

-

Wilson Griffen taps his pencil against his notebook. "Koa, we made so much progress the last few sessions, why now?"

He looks at me blankly as I sit silently in the chair across from him. We kept our gaze, his eyes trail to look at the clock to the side of us. He twirls his beard hair around his fingers, "Why now?" I ask.

"Yes," he nods, "Why not talk to me now?"

I slide more into the chair, shrugging my shoulders. "Don't know."

He gives me a small, sympathetic smile. "Koa, I'm only here to help. You can waste your hour in silence, or we can make some progress. It's all up to you."

I twirl my plain black bracelet around my wrist, placing my elbows on my knees. "Fine." I huff.

Wilson's back stiffens, adjusting his position. "Talk to me."