20. drizzle.

O P A L

O P A L

I lay my head on the bathroom rug, it feels like I have nothing left in my stomach. I can hardly handle food. I push my sweater away from my thigh, brushing my finger along a painful scar, created by the man I killed. I close my eyes and try my hardest not to be sick.

Pushing myself off the ground I wander to the sink, splashing icy cold water onto my pale face. I wish I could forget his face, I wish I could forget this ever happened to me. He will always be planted in my head. He left marks for me to remember. I don't think I've gotten sleep since.

I pull the door open, slowly making my way to the kitchen table, sitting at my usual seat. "Hey Opal." Marci wraps her arms around me, scooting her chair closer to mine. "How are you doing sis?"

I shrug, not glancing in her direction.

"Do you want to do anything today? We could go get our hair done, go to the park, get our nails done, anything you want." She smiles a hopeful smile, hoping for me to feel better.

I wish I could feel better, my family has been the best through this. Constantly making sure I know that I'm loved, always having someone by my side to comfort me. Moms been sleeping with me in my bed every night, Polli and Marci even curled up with us, dad and Leelan both have laid on my bedroom floor. I really have the best family, it's sad, them wanting to make everything go away but it's just impossible.

She stares at me waiting for an answer. "Did you hear me?" She asks gently. I nod slightly, pulling my sweater as far down my legs as it can go. "Do you just want to stay home?"

I push her arms off of me and stand up, "You can do whatever you want Marci."

"Opie, I want to hangout with you. What do you want to do?"

"I... just want to be alone." I hurry up the stairs before she can get another word out. I sink into my bed, pulling my blankets over my face, wanting to suffocate. I bring my knees to my chest, trying to find some sort of comfort.

A light tap breaks the silence in my room, my door squeaks open. "Opie, you have a visitor." Marci calls out.  I lift myself up, seeing Knox stand in my doorway. "I'll give you two some privacy, I'll be right here if you need me." She gently closes the door.

"What are you doing here Knox?"

He sits on the edge of my bed, "Well, I thought I'd check on you. It's been a week since I last saw you."

"Thanks." I mumble.

His bright blue eyes stare back at me, making me feel vulnerable. "So how are you?"