35. woeful demise.

I love this song! ^

O P A L

"Clear!" The paramedics coach as they click the button on the defibrillator. But nothing.

So, this is what Knox meant by tomorrow. This is what he meant. He knew when he'd take his last breath, when his heart would stop beating. Knox knew that today would be the end of his life. Somehow he knew.

I cling to Leelan as I sob hysterically into his chest. He holds me tightly in his arms, gripping the back of my shirt. Polli squeezes her arms around the two of us, crying into my shoulder. Mom and dad hold onto each other as they watch the paramedics try the defibrillator once more.

His chest rises as he wheezes for air. The paramedics place an oxygen mask on him as they load him into the ambulance. They give dad the information to what hospital their going to.

"Okay everybody grab your coats, get your phones, we need to tell the Whileys. Let's hurry so we can get there quickly please." My dad tells all of us as he pulls his jacket on.

-

Chewing on my nails I grip onto Knox's hand. Hoping he'll wake up. "Opal." She sits down beside me, pulling a small cup of coffee in my hands. "Here."

"I don't understand why neither of them are answering, it's been three hours." I murmur.

"Darling," she coos, brushing my hair out of my eyes. "It's almost four in the morning. I'm sure they're sleeping and probably have their phones on silent. Leelan and your father are heading there now. It shouldn't be to long before they get here."

"Do we know how he's doing?"

"They're hopeful, but say there's a small chance he'll make it." She rubs my lap, "I'm going to talk to Polli and Marci and tell them to head home. I'll be back in a little bit." She gives me a small smile before walking out of the dim room.

I stare at my pajama bottoms, covered in Knox's blood. Just wake up Knox. You're so strong, I know you can pull through this. Chewing on my lower lip I grab his hand again, squeezing it tight.

"Knox!" Koa shouts, rushing to his older brothers side. He places his head on his chest, hugging him, trying his hardest not to sob. Princeton sits beside him, grabbing his free hand.

"I love you." He whispers to Knox.

Pushing myself out of the chair I grab my crutches. "I'll leave you guys alone."

"No Opal." He walks up to me. "Do you know what happened? Leelan and Dutch already told us everything they know. But, did he say anything?"

Shaking my head I sit down in a free chair. "No. Mom asked him some questions but we couldn't understand anything."

A tall, lean woman with dark hair and dark eyes walks into the room with tears staining her deep skin. "Knox." She runs her hands through his hair. "Sweety, it's mom. If you can hear me, I want you to know I'm right here and I'm not leaving you."