29. vast like a hurricane.

K O A

K O A

Leelan scoots his chair out and sits beside me, running his hand through his red hair. "Hey Koa." He smiles politely.

"Hello."

"Opal seems to never stop talking about you." He tells me, grabbing his napkin and placing it in his lap.

I gaze at Opal who's chatting with Polli and Randy about something. "What does she say?"

"Just the usual."

"What's the usual?"

"About how she's very blessed to have you in her life, she's happy you're with her."

"Well I'm happy she's with me."

His freckles crinkle at the corner of his lips. "This may be cliche to say Koa. But if you ever hurt her, I will come after you." He chuckles.

"I don't intend to hurt her Leelan."

"Good. How's your brother Knox? He was coming around here often. But recently we haven't seen or heard from him."

"He's... just very busy lately, but good. How did Opal hurt her foot?" I inquire, scooping up food after he does.

"She slipped on a sheet of ice in front of the barn this morning. She just about shattered it, doctor said she'll probably be in that cast for awhile."

"Ouch. That's got to be painful."

He bobs his head, "Yeah, I broke my leg once but not as bad as her. The crutches don't help either, they bruise your armpits."

"That doesn't sound fun."

"It's not." He assures me.

"You don't mind if we say Grace, do you Koa?" Dutch asks with his brows raised.

"Not at all."

We clasp hands and bow our heads as Dutch says grace before eating our food. "So Koa, do you have a job?" Olive questions, sipping her iced Oolong tea.

"Not currently, no. My.. dad doesn't want any of the kids to get jobs until we're eighteen."

"That's odd." Dutch and Olive laugh lightly. "Usually the parents want the kids to have some experience in the job field."

"Do you get paid for your boxing matches?" Opal inquires, squeezing my knee.

"Only if you win."

Dutches faded green eyes stare at me, "You box? Where at?"

"At Adrenaline Junky."

Dutch nods his head in an ah ha moment. "Oh yes, I've driven by that place a few times. Downtown Maplesgrove, right? On Elmview street?"

"That's correct. This food is delicious Dutch."

He smiles, "Thank you Koa."

Marci and Mr.Thomas whisper things into each other's ears, giggling about things. "So Koa. What are your parents names? Dutch and I sure would love to meet them sometime. Maybe have dinner together." Olive brushes her dark hair behind her ears, proceeding to eat the food that's left on her plate.