44. like a match to a flame.

O P A L

O P A L

Rounding the corner I inch up to Koas' hospital room, hearing two deep voices shouting at each other. Entering the doorway I watch as Koa cusses the large, burly nurse out. "What's going on?" I inquire.

Their heads whip in my direction. The nurse leaning over Koa opens his mouth but gets interrupted by Koa. "This jackass won't let me smoke." He states bluntly, holding his lit cigarette between his fingers.

"Mr.Whiley. There is no smoking inside. Give me the damn cigarette or I'm going to have to make you." He explains with crossed arms.

"Koa, didn't you quit smoking?"

The nurse holds his wrist back as he tries to stick the butt of the cigarette in his mouth. "Let the fuck go man!" He yells.

"This is your last chance before I put restraints on you." He says gruffly, obviously tired of having to deal with Koa.

I yoink the disgusting thing from his hand, rinsing it in the small sink before tossing it in the trashcan. "I'm sorry sir, this won't happen again." I exchange a small smile towards him, which he kindly returns.

"Thank you." He tells me before walking out of the room.

I place the sunflower bouquet that I had made Koa on the table beside him. "You don't know how happy and relieved I am that your awake." I sigh in relief.

He grabs my hand, pulling me onto the bed with him. "Opal I love you."

"I love you too. How do you feel?"

"Couldn't be better." He brushes my hair aside, gazing at all my scars and wounds.

As he leans in to kiss me I pull away, gently pushing myself off the bed. "Koa, I'm sorry but you smell like smoke."

"Now I remember why I stopped smoking."

"Why were you smoking?" I glance under his coat laying at the end of his bed, a pack of cigarettes laying beneath the coat. "How did you even get cigarettes? You know what, it doesn't matter. I'm just happy your okay."

"What about you?" He inquires, itching at his IV.

I stare back at his bruised and beat up face, stitches just holding his eyebrow together. "What about me?"

He flares his arms a little to rough, holding his shot wound with his hands and wincing. "Fu-"

"Are you okay?"