3. pure unbridled rage.

O P A L

O P A L

I pull an apple out of my lunch bag as Koas' legs enter my field of vision, I look up and see him staring back down at me. "Hi Koa!" I chirp, "How's your day going? Did you get new shoes? They look super nice!"

He pulls a pack of cigarettes out of his jacket pocket, lighting it, "If I sit here, will you shut the hell up?"

I grin, "I can try, there's no promise. You know me, I'm constantly talking. Talkings great, it's how you make new frie-"

His hand is quick to cover my mouth, "I'm leaving."

"Oh I'll come with!" I shove everything into my bag and grab the books beside me, hopping up and running up to him. "Where'd you get that bruise?" I ask, gesturing towards his black eye.

"Why are you following me?" He growls, his hair falling in front of his eyes.

I drop one of my heavy books on the ground and bend down to grab it. "Friends talk, so I thought we could talk."

"We're not friends." He spits.

I smile up at him, "You may not think that, but you'll come around."

He ignores my comment, turning his head the other way.

"So how's Knox? It's been awhile since I've seen him."

He continues to ignore me, acting like I don't even exist. I struggle to hold the many books in hand with how fast we're walking. I'm not the tallest person, so it's hard for my tiny legs to keep up. "I talked to Princeton last week!" I bubble out, "He's so sweet, he said he's trying out for Lacrosse, how old is he going to be again? Is it sixteen or seventeen? I can't remember. It's been awhile since I talked to either of your brothers so I thought what the hay! Did you know he joined the mathletes? Gosh, your brother is crazy smart. He's getting really tall, he's almost taller than you now! I haven't seen you around much today, did you just get here?"

His head snaps to look at me, if his eyes could talk they'd say I'm going to kill you, he blows smoke into my face before flicking his cigarette to the ground. "Holy shit Opal! Just shut the hell up!"

"But I brought you-"

He shoves me up against the back of the bleachers, putting his arm against my collar bone,"Get away from me! I don't need some little buttery red-headed bitch following me around like a lost puppy!" He fumes, spitting on me. "I don't need any friends, and I sure as hell don't want any like you. So stay the fuck away from me!" He seethe, pushing away from me and walking towards the parking lot.

I rub my collar bone as I watch him light another cigarette. I pick up my things that had fallen out of my bag when he pushed me.

I don't know what's wrong with Koa, we used to be really good friends, he was such a kind person, never angry like he always is now. Always aiming to brighten someone's day. It's easy to be kind, it cost nothing, plus it's a bit rewarding after you make someone laugh or smile. It's nice to see people happy, I wish I could help Koa out, make him smile again. No one deserves to be in constant anger, it's not healthy. You'd probably end up going mad.