1. capri sun.

W A R N I N G
Reader discretion is advised.

*this story is dedicated to sexual abuse survivors*O P A L

O P A L

My eyes widen as a boy gets slammed on the table in front of me, knocking me off the stool and onto the floor. The boy gasps for air as Koa Whiley attaches his hands to his neck, his large body towering over the boy. The kids eyes beg me for help. I push myself off the floor as students gather around, cheering on the fight. As I reach for Koas' arm, someone else manages to beat me to it, Mr. Griffen, the school counselor. He yanks on his arm and drags him down the empty hall.

Koa Whiley used to be the nice boy everyone loved, but one day something broke inside him. I haven't seen him smile since that day, he's pushed everyone around him away.

I grab the boys arm and pull him off the ground. I smile cheerfully and dust his back off. "Are you okay?"

He gulps and nods his head, his brown eyes flickering between mine. "I-I think so."

"I'm Opal, can I walk you to the nurses office? You got a nasty bruise."

"Uh.. yeah sure."

I loop my arm around his, "What's your name?"

"Uh, Briar, Briar Bennett."

"Opal Clemens. It's nice to meet you!" I chirp.

He grins and stares at our intertwined arms. "Thanks for helping me."

"Glad to do so. Are you new? I haven't noticed you around."

He rakes his fingers through his light brown hair, a grin tugs on the corner of his lips, his light freckles crinkle around his eyes. "Actually this is my first day."

"Oof, I'm sorry. Your first day is off to a great start."

As we walk through the door way I see Mrs.Hope sitting in a chair. She hops up and smiles, "Hi Opal!"

"Hi Mrs.Hope. This is Briar, he's new here. Koa Whiley is at it again."

She grabs an ice pack out of the mini fridge and gestures for him to sit down in a chair beside her. "Hi Briar, I'm sorry this happened."

He waves his hand in front of him before taking the ice pack. "It's not your fault, besides these things happen... I guess."

I place my hand on his broad shoulder, "With Koa Whiley, anything's possible. He just needs some light in his life."

"Everyone could use some."

Mrs.Hope nods in agreeance, "You kids are right. We need more kindness in our world."

"That's for sure." I grab his arm and help pull him out of the chair. "I'll walk you to class. Have a good day Mrs.Hope." I tell her before exiting the room.